12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2014 9:33 AM by MichelPM
Cartoonguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just bought 4x8gb Corsair RAM which matched the required specs for my i7 3.4GHz iMac, but when installed, my iMac kept crashing.  Took the RAM out and put back the original RAM from Apple (only 2x4GB) and all was well.  Clearly the new RAM was the issue, but since it's not so usual for RAM to just be bad, I'm thinking it's more likely that it is a compatability issue.  Still, as I say, the RAM was supposed to match specs: 

• 204-pin DDR3L SODIMMs
  • 1.35 Volts
  • Supports memory bus speeds of up to 1600 MHz
  • 11-11-11-30 CAS timing

They also say:

Corsair's Mac memory kits are tested at Apple Developer Compatibility Labs and work with most MacBook® Pro, iMac®, and Mac mini systems shipped in 2011 and newer.

So "2011 and newer" sounds like old spec ram, even though it appears to be the right stuff.  So my question is, is it likely that this RAM will not work with my new 2013 iMac or could it be faulty?  If this RAM is not meant to be up to spec for a new iMac, how does one ever know if one is buying RAM for a new iMac that will work, if the specs appear to match?  Corsair have the Apple logo all over the package and appear quite confident it will work, but it doesn't.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive