9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2014 3:46 PM by Derek Adams
Alfredo Jahn Level 3 (820 points)

I just want to "download" the new OS X Maverics and create a bootable USB stick. I've got the Diskmaker X application and all I need it the Maverics .app file. I'm scared that if I go to the App Store and click on OS X Mavericks Update, it will start doing an update. I DO NOT WANT TO UPDATE YET! I just want it downloaded.

Please advise.

Thanks!

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s
  • Joe Bailey Level 6 (12,210 points)

It is easy to do what you are attempting -- if you already have Mavericks installed on your system. Not so easy otherwise. I have read that for a $20 fee you can get a DVD copy of the Mavericks installer from Apple. You might give Apple a call and see if they can help you out.

• petermac87 Level 5 (7,365 points)

It does not install until after you download it and select install yourself.

Cheers

Pete

• Alfredo Jahn Level 3 (820 points)

petermac87 wrote:

It does not install until after you download it and select install yourself.

Cheers

Pete

So I can just cancel the "instal" part, and the installer .app will remain in my Applications folder, correct?

I am running Snow Leopard right now.

Thanks

• petermac87 Level 5 (7,365 points)

Correct. And the installer disappears after it is installed so keep a copy elsewhere.

Cheers

Pete

• Alfredo Jahn Level 3 (820 points)

Ok, I don't mean to be a chicken, but when I go to the App Store and search for Mavericks, I see that "Free Upgrade" button.

Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 3.08.02 PM.png

When I click on it and it changes to "Install App". If I click on that, what is going to happen?

Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 3.09.08 PM.png

I really want to be absolutely sure it isn't going to perform the update. I'm running this on my son's laptop running Mountain Lion. He wants to be absolutly sure that it won't overrite his OS. Once I click on "Install App", what's going to happen?

Thanks, and sorry to be so paranoid. I've never upgraded the OS from the App Store before...

• dwb Level 7 (22,615 points)

Petermac is absolutely correct. After Mavericks completes downloading it will autorun but will not begin installing until you give the go ahead. Simply quit the application and move forward with the process of creating the flash drive installer.

• Derek Adams Level 1 (105 points)

Hi. Can anyone one of you tell me why I can't download Mavericks? I am using a MBP Retina (Latest model) that came with Mavericks installed. At the App store I click download and a message says Mavericks can not be installed on this computer.

Thanks

Derek

• dwb Level 7 (22,615 points)

The newest retina MBP uses a fork of the current OS X due to new hardware so the currently shipping 10.9 isn't compatible. Probably after the next update they'll converge again. This is normal.

• Derek Adams Level 1 (105 points)

Wow, thank you. I just did a support search for Mavericks for macbook Pro Retina I found this article and was able to get a download started. Thank you.

kb/DL1712