Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer PDF from MacBook to iPad

I want to transfer some PDFs from my MacBook Pro to my iPad and iPhone and have them in iBooks. I am using Mavericks. Previous posts said to drag them to the "Books" section on the sidebar in iTunes. The only problem with this suggestion is that there is no Books section in Mavericks. I found a thread that said that Mavericks was different that past OSX versions and that I should open iBooks in OSX and place the pdfs there, the implication being that they would sync with my iPhone and iPad. I got them into iBooks but no dice. I even added a Collection in iBooks on my laptop and placed the pdfs in the collection. The collection name shows up in iBooks on the iPad and iPhone but there are no documents in the collection. I am going on vacation and I have important document that I want on iCloud and on my iPhone and iPad. This is much more difficult than it should be. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 11:00 AM

15 replies

Jan 30, 2014 10:31 AM in response to baddabing

I'm in the exact same situation as you are and it's been a frustrating experience. I went to the Apple Genius Bar and they suggested emailing the PDF docs to myself (then opening in iBooks). Problem is...my Gmail has a size restriction of 10 MB. In the end, I finally got the big files to iBooks on my iPad Air by using a third party app for transferring large files via email. I agree that this is way more complicated than it should be. Hope you found a way to transfer your docs before your vacation.

Jan 30, 2014 10:57 AM in response to elguajironyc

The solution is quite simple. Open iBooks in Mavericks, select the Collections tab along the top, select the PDFs tab on the sidebar, then drag and drop the your pdfs to iBooks. To get them to synced to iPad and iPhone go to iTunes select your device (you probably have to have it connected) from the list on the left side under "Devices." Then along the top select "Books" and make sure the "Sync" option is selected. You should see your PDFs and either be able to select all of them or just some. This worked for me. Now, every time I put a PDF in iBooks it shows up on my iPad and iPhone.

Feb 21, 2014 5:27 PM in response to mshamer

I found a suggestion on another forum that worked for me. There were two suggestions, one was a solution using iTunes while the other uses iBooks. I can't recall which worked for me. Here are both:

-from iTunes: File > Devices > Transfer Purchases

-from iBooks: File > Move Books From iTunes

I found this out after going to the Apple Genius Bar (and getting nowhere...) as well as emailing huge PDFs to myself. A welcome relief to say the least. Hope one of the two methods works for you.

Jun 23, 2014 10:41 AM in response to baddabing

1. Start iBook on Mac

2. Go to Collection tab

3. On left side click PDF

4. Drag the files directly from your desired location

User uploaded file

5. Connect iphone and open itunes

6. You will see the Books automatically in the tabs near movies and photos

User uploaded file

7. Click on Sync Books and select accordingly

User uploaded file

8. Finally click Apply

Thank you

Transfer PDF from MacBook to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.