Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple id in itunes/store reverts to display my primary email address not icloud address!

I'm sorry if it it's only me, but apple id is the most confusing thing ever invented by apple...I just don't grasp the concepts.. maybe its the language that is getting me.

My situtation...

1. I had an exising apple id it was name@gmail.com.

2. I want to use a new address: newname@icloud.com as my apple id (I understand this IS my apple id ever since i created it in icloud)

BTW, I also signed into Apple id (with my old address) and managed it by adding this new emaill address and then verified it too.

itunes/ store:

I had always used this existing id: name@gmail.com to sign into itunes/store on my mac (and for that matter find my iphone, imessage and facetime on my iphone)

Changes...

On my iphone, I decided to change the apple id for imessage, facetime and find my iphone... I was able to change it to newname@icloud.com, successfully for these 3 items...BUT I was NOT able to do it for itunes and app store. (at least not what I expected to display...see below)

itunes and app store on iphone and mac:

on the iphone in the itunes/app settings, it says "apple id: name@gmail.com" where I'm thinking it should say "email address:name@gmail.com"

on my mac, when i sign out of these accounts and sign back in with my newname@icloud.com ID it reverts to displaying my name@gmail.com account!!!

so can someone help me sort this all out? why can't itunes/store display newname@icloud.com? why must it show that other email address?

this is so frustrating!

thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.4.11), iphone 5s (os7)

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 12:18 PM

Your Apple ID is name@gmail.com. Your iCloud email address is newname@icloud.com

An Apple ID can be either a non-iCloud address or an iCloud address, but once set up it can't be changed to the other type.

You can sign into the Apple Services using either the Apple ID, the iCloud email address or your associated address, but it will show you logged in as using the Apple ID.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2014 12:18 PM in response to Gina Prine

Your Apple ID is name@gmail.com. Your iCloud email address is newname@icloud.com

An Apple ID can be either a non-iCloud address or an iCloud address, but once set up it can't be changed to the other type.

You can sign into the Apple Services using either the Apple ID, the iCloud email address or your associated address, but it will show you logged in as using the Apple ID.

Jan 25, 2014 12:24 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks so if i'm trying to undertand correctly...please see my questions to your comments...

You can sign into the Apple Services using either the Apple ID (is this the "primary email" address on my apple id account?)

the iCloud email address (is this newname@icloud.com?)

or your associated address (other associated email addresses that I verified on my apple id account?),

but it will show you logged in as using the Apple ID. (which apple id?, what will display?)*

* for me it displays the newname@aiclud.com for find my iphone, imessage and facetime, but NOT itunes/store

Can you see where I'm still confused?

BTW I read that as soon as you create a iclud.com email address, this is automatically associate with your apple id or in other words this IS your apple id.

Jan 25, 2014 1:03 PM in response to Gina Prine

You can sign into the Apple Services using either the Apple ID (is this the "primary email" address on my apple id account?)

the iCloud email address (is this newname@icloud.com?)

or your associated address (other associated email addresses that I verified on my apple id account?),

In your case the Apple ID and primary address are name@gmail.com. The iCloud email address or alternate address in your case is newname@icloud.comand associated addresses are iCloud email aliases, I don't know if you have created any of these.

but it will show you logged in as using the Apple ID. (which apple id?, what will display?)*

* for me it displays the newname@aiclud.com for find my iphone, imessage and facetime, but NOT itunes/store

Yes with some things like FaceTime and Messages you can send and receive in any of the addresses you have related to your Apple ID, but it will always list your Apple ID as name@gmail.com

Apple id in itunes/store reverts to display my primary email address not icloud address!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.