Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

graphics card for 2006-07 Mac Pro system

I am wanting to donate my 2007 Mac Pro system to the local Humane Society but the graphics card in it has died apparently and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find out wht models of ATI Radeon cards would work. I know the card has to be PCI-E but all I need is a card that will allow one monitor.

The below card is one I came across that looks like it might work but I couldn't find any info on weather or not this card would work and if so where to get the mac drivers for it if its needed. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ATI RADEON 413023-001 X1300 DVI PCIe VIDEO CARD 256MB

Ed

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 1:12 PM

16 replies

Jan 25, 2014 2:03 PM in response to ebaker1954

RE: Mac Pro silver tower (2006-2012) Replacement Graphics cards

1) Apple brand cards,

2) "sold in the Apple store" cards, and

3) "Mac Edition" cards ...

... show all the screens, including Boot up screens, Safe Mode, Installer, Recovery, debug screens, and Alt/Option boot screens. At this writing, these choices include:

1) Apple brand cards:

• Apple-firmware 5770 /1GB, about US$250** works near full speed in every model Mac Pro, Drivers in 10.6.5 [This card has jsut been discontinued at the Apple store and many Apple re-sellers]

• Apple-firmware 5870 /1GB, about US$450

2) "sold in the Apple store" cards

• NVIDIA Quadro 4000, about US$1200

• NVIDIA Quadro 5000, about US$2500

3) "Mac Edition" cards -- REQUIRE 10.8.3 or later:

• SAPPHIRE HD 7950 /3GB GDDR5 MAC Edition, about US$480** Vendor recommends Mac Pro 4,1

• EVGA GTX 680 /2GB Mac Edition, about US$600

The cards above require no more than the provided two 6-pin aux power connectors provided in the Mac Pro through 2012 model. Aux cables may not be provided for third-party cards, but are readily available.

--------

If you are Meet ALL of these:

• running 10.8.3 or later AND

• don't care about "no boot screens" etc AND

• can re-wire or otherwise "work out" the power cabling, THEN:

You can use many more cards, even most "PC-only cards"

Jan 25, 2014 2:16 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

RE: Original MacPro Silver Tower graphics cards

The original Mac Pro from 2006, and its cousin from 2007 seem to have shipped with one or the other of these in its double-wide 16x PCIe 1.0 slot:

• NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI and dual-link DVI)

• ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (two dual-link DVI)

• NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB (stereo 3D, two dual-link DVI)

--------

The 2008 model is 64-bit kernel capable. It had a double-wide 16-lane PCIe 2.0 slot, and used these cards originally:

• ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory and two dual-link DVI ports
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory, two dual-link DVI ports, and one stereo 3D port

Jan 25, 2014 2:29 PM in response to ebaker1954

There are few good choices for a 2007 2,1 today.

MacVidCards on ebay caters to Mac Pro customer and usually has some Nvidia 8800GT series.

Apple ATI 5770 use to be best bet but is about 4 yrs old EOL now and no longer available, and when it is from 3rd party it is over priced today above the $249 it was selling for.

OEM 7300GT is older still, it was old in 2006 and 8800GTs often can be ressurected but may fail and need to be baked in 350* oven, and yes, it works.

Need to be clear about your system specs. and OS, 10.6.8 is often your best bet.

Jan 25, 2014 3:15 PM in response to The hatter

I have the 8800GT card in this system which is running OS 10.6.8 which is the max OS that will run on the system. The system suddenly went to a white screen and when i tried to reboot I get the chrime just like always but the apple with a gray outline has purplle siggly lines in the background of the outline of the apple, then the screen goes to white and that's all she wrote. At first I thought it might be the monitor but it did the exact same thing on another monitor, then I thought it might be the boot software but I use my back up with the dsame results so pretty sure its the groahics card.

I have never heard about baking the board and have nothing to lose in giving it a try, could you explain alittle more or tell me where to find instructions on this option. thank you

Ed

Jan 26, 2014 3:29 AM in response to ebaker1954

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

ALL Mac Pro models are supported. Alll have Xeon processors.

Only Mountain Lion and above have an additional EFI-64 requirement which came out in Early 2008 3,1's and older models 1,1 and 2,1 have EFI-32 which prohibits native 64-bit kernal mode used and which requires 64-bit video drivers and PCIe 2.0+ for graphics.

Feb 15, 2014 9:41 PM in response to ebaker1954

I pulled an Apple NVIDI GEFORCE GT120 graphics card out of an early 2009 Mac Pro that was working fine when pulled and I went and installed it into the early 2007 Pro Mac and it does not seem to work. I have double checked to make sure that the board is firmly seated but no luck still nothing but a blank (black) screen. I went back to the original graphics card the NVIDIA P345 that I am having trouble with and it does it exactly the same thing Gray screen with apple and squiggly lines inside the apple outline and then a blank gray screen, so I know it's not the cables or monitor.

So my question is, is there a reason the apple graphics card out of the newer system will not work in this earlier system. Thanks for your time and help on this

Ed

Oct 10, 2014 7:52 PM in response to ebaker1954

Hi, folks,

I also have the Mac pro 1,1 bought in 2007. Seems the second video card that I install in this machine has just failed.

The original card was damaged in 2011 and now a spare old one also has gone.

I don´t know if it is the UPS that I use that was providing some dirty energy to the MAc Pro...

I had a power collapse a few hours ago and happens the same behavior the other poster mentioned: Gray apple with some thin purple lists and system locks.

I have tried Zap P-RAM, safe mode, single user mode.

I have just got a third spare 7300GT - 256MB RAM but comes with a DVI and a VGA port. Probably from PC World. Not sure if it will function...

What models can go fine with this machine under OS 10.6.8? I am really desperate because the thing failed in the midlle of a pile of work.

I have had difficulty finding the 2012 model Sapphire Vapor X ATI Radeon HD 5770 (DDR5, Pci-e, overclock version).

Can you guys confirm this model? I saw the newer ones have some different specifications and I am afraid of buying and not functioning.

Thanks for any info!

BTW, is this "cooking of the board" safe and serious?

graphics card for 2006-07 Mac Pro system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.