Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro battery life

I barely get three hours on my battery and I use it alot. What suggestions does nayone have. It gets extremely hot . I have tried calibrating it and that does nothing.

THE Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5233
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1542
Amperage (mA): -1507
Voltage (mV): 11048
Cycle Count: 129

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 1, 2006 9:22 AM

14 replies

Aug 1, 2006 2:06 PM in response to a brody

Macbook Pro 15" 2.0 ghz
OS 10.4.7

I am on my replacement battery and am concerned about battery life issues again. The other night it seemed that the power went pretty fast, but I hadn't timed it. I was just surfing while watching TV. Today I timed out at just under two hours, again mostly internet use and even probably 20-25 minutes of sleep in there. Considering that, this seems awful. All firmware updates have been done and I think I have reasonable battery management settings.

Aug 1, 2006 2:46 PM in response to a brody

Try optimizing your battery following these
instructions:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Thank you. Sorry that I failed to mention that I did do the battery calibration procedure with this battery after receiving it. I suppose I could do it again, but I seem to recall it wasn't suggested as being needed even as infrequently as each month if the computer is kept busy every day. Mine certainly is. Am I wrong?

On the page you referenced it says Apple doesnt recommend leaving the laptop plugged in, that it's best to "keep the electrons moving." I'd really be interested to know if MBP owners are actually doing this, i.e. running on battery whenever possible, even when in the office or otherwise near a handy AC source.

Aug 2, 2006 10:15 PM in response to Amore

I'm getting 90 minutes to a battery. This is not acceptable as I need 2 1/2 hours. I'm not using Shake or FCP on a battery. Mail lists, script writing. Thing you could do an a 99 cent dell laptop. I had one of the first TiBooks and got use to long battery life.

And sleep. Have to close everything down to get it to sleep or it won't sleep.

As a result I have to use this thing plugged into the wall. So I'm going back indoors to my G5 desktop to work.

I've done everything this list suggested. Airport off, re-cycle battery (twice) Bluetooth off. Widgets off. Everything off. Still only 90 minutes.

The battery is not a recall serial number.

5210 amp hours
Cycle count 23 (In two weeks.)

Dual 2gig G5 2gig RAM, HD Monitor Mac Book Pro 15 " gig ram Mac OS X (10.3.8)

Dual 2gig G5 2gig RAM, HD Monitor Mac OS X (10.3.8)

Aug 2, 2006 11:10 PM in response to Denbee

Say you are using your MBP for 10-12hrs per day in one sitting and you start at 100% of battery power. Would it be better to discharge, then recharge, discharge, recharge, etc..OR...To run it on AC and just discharge and recharge your battery once per day? Apple recommends not to keep it on AC charge all the time. So to me that would mean that you would need to keep it running off the battery and not on AC, therefore you would constantly be recharging your battery. The problem with that is Apple also said that the average cycle count is about 300 full charges then the battery will go down to 80% of battery power. It doesn't take a very long time to reach 300 charge cycles. Does any of this make any since?

Aug 3, 2006 7:21 AM in response to Hex50

I agree that something's rottten in Apple's Denmark. My Apple-replacement battery zooms down. My settings are Apple's own "Better Battery Life." I have calibrated, etc. etc. And the point about how if one follows Apple's own advice about "keep the electrons moving" and follows the battery-AC-battery-AC-etc. routine, one quickly reaches 300 charge cycles.

It would seem we not only have to buy a 2nd battery and lug it around (better start now rehearsing how you're going to explain this to the airport's TSA folks...), but we have to be prepared to just keep on buying batteries as the present ones reah their optimum charge cycles.

Yes, gloom-and-doom rhetoric from me but it feels that way!

Aug 3, 2006 12:06 PM in response to Amore

hi, i got a macbook pro a few weeks ago, and over the past couple of days iv noticed that my battery life seems to be around 3 hours, and this is with me surfing the net and thats all. i see how everyone keeps saying oh thats bad etc but noone has given any idication of roughly how long a battery life should be, so could someone give me some kind of rough answer, 3 hours? 10? im just worried that when i go back to uni and use all the CS programmes my battery will drain really fast... im really hoping i dont need to do a swap coz it seems quite a lot of hassle!! oh and iv calibrated my battery.

bex

Aug 3, 2006 12:16 PM in response to bex28

The September issue of Consumer Reports reviewed 21 Laptops, Apple being one of them. The battery life ranges from 1 3/4 hours to 4 hours, the average is about 3.5 hours for most of them. The MBP 15", 17" and the Macbook all come out on top in general. I am just going to discharge and charge the battery once daily. Forget about Apple's round about cycle of charging a battery.

Aug 5, 2006 5:28 PM in response to Rich88

reading all this I m paniking....means that all batteries are pretty different them.....how is this possible ?
Any way I v calibrated my MBP 4 times.....usually I keep my mac pluged in cauz wen I use it on batteries it keep runing max las 1 hour .
Probably I need to call apple care.
Any way is a bit disapointing...

macbook pro battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.