Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation fails because Apple Mobile Device Service failed to start?

When I attempted to update ITunes, it failed at the starting services point because "Apple Mobile Device Service failed to start". The ignore button would not work. Retry did not fix it. I have deleted all ITunes from my computer, restarted, and attempted a new install. Same problem. Help.

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 2:58 PM

10 replies

Jan 26, 2014 1:52 PM in response to gestarkey

The exact same thing is happening to me...it all started with the latest Itunes update.

I removed Itunes from the computer via the Windows Program uninstaller. I then attempted to re-install itunes, during the download, at the "Starting Services" phase, an error pops up stating "Service 'Apple Mobile Device' (Apple Mobile Device) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Jan 26, 2014 4:58 PM in response to gestarkey

I have exactly the same problem - I have followed all the "experts" advice on how to fix this and am still at square one. I have been through the re-install procedure 6 times and get exactly the same error message.

I don't believe Apple know how to fix this (or can't be bothered)

I have been through other failures on these updates about one in four seems to have problems with windows.

Each time it costs a massive amount of time to work around.

I have just recieved an iphone 4s and tempted to send it back.

Apple software stinks!

There, I feel better now, rant over.

Has anyone got anything new in workarounds for this problem - or do we have to wait for the next update with our fingers crossed ?

Jan 27, 2014 8:36 PM in response to gestarkey

The frequently suggested repair steps listed in comments at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923 and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926 did not work for me yesterday when I attempted for an entire day to fix this commonly reported problem with the newest iTunes update. I now realize that I overlooked one step listed in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923.

My computer has a Windows 64 bit operating system. I should have paid attention to this instruction:

"If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to confirm that the following folders have been removed:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iPod\ "

Tonight, I removed those previous version files from the Program Files (x86) directory and executed the rest of the steps listed. Success resulted. If you are struggling like I did to install the iTunes newest update on a Windows 64 bit operating system, you might benefit to recheck that you followed the instruction listed above.

Jun 1, 2014 4:42 AM in response to claybustr

I had a problen after updating iTunes: Service Mobile Device failed to start....

After reading some of the sugegstions here I started a new user and didnot have a problem there, but a message poped-up telling to activate Bonjur service in control panel > Administrative tools.

I did and this seems to have solved the problem. iTunes did not shut down on my next start up.

I hoipe this will help,

Feb 1, 2015 9:23 PM in response to jefffromvt

This sounds like a broken record...I'm having the same problem. Saw the last response and finally found the right folder to check and am in the process of uninstalling and removing again. I'm not sure how I can sign on as an administrator though, if I can't get itunes installed in the 1st place. I'm already an administrator for the laptop I'm on.

Installation fails because Apple Mobile Device Service failed to start?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.