Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is upgrading the Mac's video card worthwhile?

Can anyone tell me if a better video card can make a significant difference in the performance of Final Cut Studio? I'm setting up a G5 Mac to use for mainly video editing (with Final Cut 5.1 under OS 10.5.8).

I have acquired a G5 Quad-core 2.5 that I am maxing out with 16 GB of RAM, and it will have a couple of 2-gig 7200 hard drives in it. I'm wondering if its stock video card, a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB of VRAM is adequate, or whether I would be better off replacing it with a Nvidia Quadro FX4500 with 512MB.

I'm thinking that if I could gain a noticeable performance boost with the better video card, I would go ahead and spend the $150 or so that these cards are going for nowadays. But if the improvement would be minor, I won't bother.

Anyone here have any experience with upgrading video cards in a G5?

Tom

Mac OS X (10.5.8), 8 GB of RAM

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 6:21 PM

A more powerful graphics card would provide a good boost for Motion and if you're using FXPlugs in FCP. Other than that, it really wouldn't help speed anything up in FCP.

-DH

1 reply

Is upgrading the Mac's video card worthwhile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.