Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2005 Powerbook G4 won't recognize new SSD drive

I know others have had this very problem but I could not find a recent thread where there was a solution. I installed a new OWC SSD 120 GB HD (made for legacy Powerbook) to replace the original HD. Used the original Powerbook G4 install CD, but after startup get the blinking Question mark. Used Disk Utility on install CD, new drive still not showing up. I thought the SSD drive was DOA and sent it back to OWC, only to have them send it back and say it was OK.Tried System Profiler on the G4, nothing shows as new drive. Tried Firewire target using a MacPro as host, and the G4 mounts on host screen as Untitled 1, with 119.7 GB capacity. Ran Disk Utility on the drive identified as 120.3 GB AAPL Firewire Target Media, with Untitled 1 volume, and drive checks out OK. Before I screw things up, any wisdom for out there on next step? Seems I need to reverse the host config if I wish to install OS on the G4 via Target, or some such wizardry?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 5:39 PM

4 replies

Mar 19, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Joebillydean2

I had problems with OWC legacy SSDs for my PowerBook5,6. I went through similar experiences with them as you. Returned & exchanged. They felt unusually warm/hot and the PowerBook wouldn't recognize them. Maybe a bad batch of drives or a bad adapter. The legacy SSDs are just 2.5 Electra SDDs enclosed with a SATA-IDE adapter. Other people don't report problems with the OWC drives.

I did not try the Master/Slave/Cable-Select jumpers with the OWC SDD. If it does have them, you can try changing it. This link isn't OWC SSD specific but gives you the jumper basics:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547944

I went the another route with a crucial SDD, enclosure & adapter. My PowerBook recognized it immediately and it's been working fine since.

Boot from your install DVD (hold C on power up). Run Disk Utility. IF DU can see the drive, make sure to set the partition map to APPLE PARTITION MAP (PPC) and not GUID (intel). Format with Mac OS Extended (HFS+) Journaled.

Dec 14, 2016 10:20 AM in response to Joebillydean2

I'm having the same problem. Using a setup I saw on a youtube video by ThePowerPCHub with an msata drive and an msata IDE adapter that screws in like a 2.5 drive. Problem is my 17" Powerbook G4 does not see it at all. Not internally installed, not externally attached, not in disk utility and not in Startup Manager mode.

My msata is 500BG and waiting to hear from the manufacturer of the adapter whether there is a storage size limit.

BTW my iMac (2011) sees the msata in IDE adapter no problem.

Dec 14, 2016 10:24 AM in response to steve the cat

You have tacked onto a VERY OLD thread = not recommended

Start your own New Discussion

Top right of any ASC page = POST > Discussion

We need much more information to give you specific help. Tell us step-by-step, in detail what your actions are.

Tell us a Story

- with a beginning, a middle and end. We need to understand everything that you know and have experienced.

If this issue is new, tell us what immediately preceded its onset - add software, upgrade or update? New equipment?

Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product (device) name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "OS X 10.4.11" or "Safari 4.1.3".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

2005 Powerbook G4 won't recognize new SSD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.