Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook reboots whenever I plug my hard drive in.

I have a 500 GB Western Digital external hard drive that got corrupted a little while ago because I didn't unplug it correctly. Since then, I whenever I plug it into my macbook, it shuts off and goes into the boot sequence but when it gets to loading the OS, it reboots again. I have been able to access it via my Airport Extreme but the option to erase it is unavailable as it is grayed out in the options. I have tried plugging into my Windows computer to format it to no avail.

Is there any way I can format this drive or am I out $100? Unfortunately I can't fix it on my macbook because the OS will not run while the drive is plugged in, but is there any other option?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Western Digital My Passport 500GB

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 11:20 PM

5 replies

Jan 29, 2014 1:12 AM in response to IOSuser7891

In the box with a MacBook, you must have a CD/DVD called Apple Hardware Test (AHT). Typically your model AHT is located on the Applications Install Disc 2.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Try to boot from it for the diagnosis of computer components - may have problems with the USB controller.

If your WD no longer under warranty can try to pull the hard drive out hdd enclosure and connect an external Hard Drive Enclosure (USB or FireWire).

In my experience, there have been cases where the hard drive was working but the controller was SATA-USB is broken.

Alex

Apple Support Professional

Macbook reboots whenever I plug my hard drive in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.