Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my phone get virus if I accidentally click on a virus link via twitter?

My friend sent me a link via twitter mail and without knowing it is a virus, I click on the link. It doesn't load but I'm worried that I've gotten the virus.

Is it possible for iPhone and iPad to get virus?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 5:54 AM

No, not unless you have performed an unauthorized modification, such as a 'jailbreak'.

7 replies

Jan 26, 2014 6:05 AM in response to Mieowli

Let me put it this way.

Only 0.7% of all mobile device malware programs are written to target the iOS platform (that's only 1 out of every 143). And the only way any of those malware programs can get onto an iOS device is either by:

A) The iOS device has been 'jailbroken' (i.e., someone has used another piece of hardware to manipulate and change the software of the iOS device)

B) Direct, physical contact (i.e., someone has possession of your device and installs it manually, which actually requires 'jailbreaking' it, at least temporarily.

If you have not jailbroken your device, and no one else has had possession of your device, unattended, then you have zero cause for alarm.

Nov 2, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Mieowli

I get these messages like "Your iphone has virus" and it starts scanning to check if there are any. It then finds 8 of them and asks me to go to appstore and install an app to remove it.

This has happened quite often and it normally happens when I click on some link via twitter or other sites.

I have the latest iOS installed which is 9.1. Any suggestions on this ?

Will my phone get virus if I accidentally click on a virus link via twitter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.