Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro won't open any of my projects.

I had a one month break not having time to work on my videos, during which I have updated Final Cut Pro X to version 10.1.1. Now my projects have vanished from the library, and it won't open .fcpevent or .fcpproject files. When browsing in Finder, everything looks as it always has, but Final Cut library shows only the original clips, none of the edited work. If I try to open .fcpproject file, it states that "The document “CurrentVersion.fcpproject” could not be opened. Final Cut Pro cannot open files in the “Final Cut Pro Project” format." Months of work on a sketch series has thus just disappeared, and my backups are just as useless as the originals. I'm new to Final Cut and edit videos as my hobby and don't quite understand all the features. I've got no idea what to do or try.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 6:11 AM

18 replies

May 31, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Vimzo Films

Is that an external hard drive? I can't see the left side.

What have you done so far? It looks like a library was created for that drive and the old projects and events were put in a back up folder. Where did these new projects and events come from? None of them after the correct FCP icon. They only have generic icons, and they were all modified today. Did you open them in 10.0.9 today? How were they modified?

Change the name of the folder called Misc. to sonething else.

May 31, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

the reason these were modified today is that when I attempted to update the project the events did but no project info. All the clips came through even with the i/o marks but no project. So I put them back in the root so that I could try something else. They were created in 10.0.9 but never updated unitl I attempted to that this weekend.

The media 2 icon for fcp 10.1.1 is the result of the last update. All the clips are there but no project info.

Final Cut Pro won't open any of my projects.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.