Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty folders since maverick

Every day since i updated ,my macbook pro retina display 17", to maveriks I've suffered this issue. I start my computer, open finder, open a folder and i find it empty, not just one folder but all of them are, even the desktop "folder".

It's pretty anoying and it doesn't apply only to finder it doesn't work in other applications as well such as illustrator or photoshop when trying to save a file.

I have a macbook pro retina display, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM. I never had this problem before my OSX update, so i assume it might be a software problem. I'm a little scared if it could be my HDD.

Any solution?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 6:44 AM

9 replies

Jan 29, 2014 6:20 AM in response to Bruno Leni

I too am having this issue on a bran new mac mini. I have seen another thread where finder is slow to populate folders (up to 30 seconds), but mine never populate. Even if I leave a finder window open for 30 minutes, it will never populate the contents of my folders. The only folder that is not empty is the applications folder. Unlike the thread for those who have slow finder, I have no issues browsing for files from within other apps. For example if I try to attach a file in main, I can see all my files.

I have removed my finder plist, I have reindexed spotlight. I have toggled auto scrolling. I'm at a complete loss.

Jan 29, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Ajzride

Okay, I just spent two hours on the phone with apple support. The issue appears to be resolved.

*Enable root user

* System Preferences --> Users & Groups

* Click the lock and Login to enable changes

* Click Login Options

* Click Join

* Click Open Directory Utility

* Click the lock and login

* In the menu at the top Edit --> Enable Root User

* Enter a very secure password.

* Logout

* Login by clicking on other

* user should be root, all lower case

* enter your password you just setup

* In the Finder menu at the top choose GO --> Computer

* Browse to Macintosh HD (or your HDD name) --> Users

* Right click on your normal user

* Get Info

* Expand Sharing and Permissions at the bottom

* Click the lock to enable chagnes

* Ensure that your normal user has Read and Write

* Click the Gear and choose Apply to enclosed items

* Wait

* Wait

* Reboot

* Login as your user.

* If this fixed the issue, repeat the first part of this except choose to Disable Root User.

Feb 17, 2014 9:38 PM in response to Bruno Leni

The problem has reoccured after a power outage. This time even the root user could not see folders, so I was unable to attempt the permissions change on my user folder. I was forced to format the harddrive and start over. Since I think the problem may have been related to importing settings from my non-mavericks machine using migration assistant, I am setting my user up from scratch this time. I'll post if the problem crops back up.

May 22, 2014 9:25 PM in response to Ajzride

Maverick's users beware:

I did this to the letter and when I logged back in all of my user Permissions were completely messed up. Now I have double entries for 'everyone', one being 'read only' (which is correct) and the other being 'custom', which I have never seen. I have no clue how this happened.

I've tried numerous methods to get the Permissions back to the defaults, but the problem persists. No matter what I do now my computer ignores my ownership of files and won't allow me to make changes to anything. If anyone has any ideas about how to undo this please let me know, thanks!

Ajzride wrote:

Okay, I just spent two hours on the phone with apple support. The issue appears to be resolved.

*Enable root user

* System Preferences --> Users & Groups

* Click the lock and Login to enable changes

* Click Login Options

* Click Join

* Click Open Directory Utility

* Click the lock and login

* In the menu at the top Edit --> Enable Root User

* Enter a very secure password.

* Logout

* Login by clicking on other

* user should be root, all lower case

* enter your password you just setup

* In the Finder menu at the top choose GO --> Computer

* Browse to Macintosh HD (or your HDD name) --> Users

* Right click on your normal user

* Get Info

* Expand Sharing and Permissions at the bottom

* Click the lock to enable chagnes

* Ensure that your normal user has Read and Write

* Click the Gear and choose Apply to enclosed items

* Wait

* Wait

* Reboot

* Login as your user.

* If this fixed the issue, repeat the first part of this except choose to Disable Root User.

Empty folders since maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.