Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn my Macbook Pro display off instantly?

Hello.

I love having my laptop connected to my TV via HDMI cable to watch TV shows. But I dont like putting it in Clamshell mode because I have a VLC Remote app that lets me put the next film on instantly without touching the laptop.

I like to have the laptop display fully off / black so that i'm not see two images (TV and Laptop), so what I do is hold the brightness key down to turn off the display.

Does anyone know of a menu bar app, or a command to turn the display off instantly with a single click?

Thank You

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 7:02 AM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2014 2:05 PM in response to david267

No eject key on new Macbook Pros...

I guess it depends on you Macbook Pro. My 15" Macbook Pro (2011) has the eject key to the right of the F12 key far upper right corner of the keyboard.

My wife's 13" Macbook Pro Retina (2013) has a power button there, HOWEVER, Control-Shift-Power does exactly the same as Control-Shift-Eject. That is to say Control-Shift-Power will turn off the screen.

So assuming you have a power button, use

Control-Shift-Power

NOTE: my older 2011 Macbook Pro has a power button in the case, not part of the keyboard, AND Control-Shift-Power also works on my older Macbook Pro to turn off the screen.

How can I turn my Macbook Pro display off instantly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.