Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does iCloud photo sharing automatically compress files

While Apple says the limit along the long side is 2048 pixels; I have found that uploading larger 'files' were automatically compressed/re-sized in the iCloud album. This was limited to small albums. Larger albums did not resize. Does anyone have anymore information about this?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 8:08 AM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2014 8:31 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston, makes sense. However, the uploading to the shared photo stream is not consistent. Some are compressed and reflected on my 'home' computer. While some do not compress regardless where it is shown. Some are uploaded to the shared albums and not shown on my computer as well. Apple currently has no answer to this. In fact, 1080 video has uploaded eventhough they say it is limited to 720!

Jan 26, 2014 11:01 AM in response to jbk224bamacophile

The following is from this Apple document: iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ

What resolution are My Photo Stream photos?

On a Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. Dimensions will vary, but an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

OT

Jan 26, 2014 9:19 PM in response to Old Toad

OT,

I've just finished a 'work-around to one problem.

As you note, Apple does not support uploading of a file more tha 2048 on one side. This is not a fact though.

I deleted my album wit 235 pics and started it again with only 50+ pictures. Most of my pictures are greater than 2048. Once these uploaded, I repeated the process 7 more times until all 411 successfully uploaded. This was reflected in my iCloud on my Mac, on my iOS devices, and with my invitees.

I then tried this with another album, and did not work.

Still waiting to hear from Apple.

jbk

does iCloud photo sharing automatically compress files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.