Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure my two AirPort Extremes to extend my wireless network

I have two Airport Extremes and would like to configure them extending my wireless network at home. Is there any setup guide for this purpose? Thanks!

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 8:56 AM

13 replies

Jan 26, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Ray Li1

Thanks for the info, this helps.

To clarify, you already have one AirPort Extreme set up and working correct?

So, you only need to configure the "other" Extreme to extend using wireless, correct?

There are some nagging bugs in the new Mavericks software, so we may need to use a spare Ethernet cable for the setup only.....if wireless won't work for that. You can disconnect the Ethernet cable once the device has been configured.

If you have an iPad handy, we can do the setup with that device as well. AirPort Utility on the iPad works better than AirPort Utility in Mavericks.

Jan 26, 2014 9:57 AM in response to Rebusroo

I'll give you two options and you can choose one to try.

On the Extreme that you want to use to extend the network, power it up for a few minutes and then hold in the reset button firmly on the device for 10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

On the iPad....

Tap Settings on the home screen

Tap WiFi

Look for a listing of Setup a New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Extreme

Follow the prompts

All that you really need to do is enter a device name for the Extreme. AirPort Utility will take care of the rest.

On the Mac....

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other WiFi Devices

Click on AirPort Extreme

Follow the prompts

All that you really need to do is enter a device name for the Extreme. AirPort Utility will take care of the rest. No "setup guide" is needed.

Jan 26, 2014 10:07 AM in response to Rebusroo

I have the same question and wondering what is the best Express to buy used?

Mavericks 10.9.1 on Mac MIni. I've got A1408 5th genration Extreme.

Since you have a dual band 5th Gen Extreme, you would want to get a dual band AirPort Express.

That is the Model A1392......it looks like a miniature AirPort Extreme.

Apple sells Refurbished models with new warranty for $75 if you are interested in that. New is $100.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

Jan 26, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Ray Li1

Please just follow the instructions that I gave you. Everything will happen virtually automatically.

The only "manual" thing required is for you to assign a device name to the extending Extreme.

We can go step by step if you need it, but I do not think that you will need this.

Once you have it done, you will realize how easy it is.

Jan 28, 2014 7:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, many thanks for your useful advice. I configured my second Airport Extreme to extend my wireless network with my iPad successfully. Your advice to use iPad for configuration is pretty helpful. The configuration is simple and intitutive without any confusion. Well done in design by Apple!!

During this setup, I have a confusion of dual band router. As far as I believe, the router is intelligent that it will try the connection at 5 GHz. If fails, connect at 2.4 GHz. The whole process is automated without user intervention. However, I found without Airport utility, it has the option to create 5 GHz network. If it is automated, why we need 5 GHz network. It just creates a barrier to the common 2.4 GHz devices. Is my understand incorrect or incomplete? Thanks for you advice.

Jan 28, 2014 7:30 PM in response to Ray Li1

Sorry, but I am not sure what you are asking.

You have dual band routers. When you "extend", the connection occurs at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so both bands are extended.

it has the option to create 5 GHz network.

The AirPort is always broadcasting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals. That is why it is known as a simultaneous dual band router. You cannot turn one band "off" while another remains "on". They are either always both "on", or both are "off" if you disable the wireless function of the router.

You may be asking about an option to assign a different name to the 5 GHz network. This does not "create" a 5 Ghz network, since 5 GHz is always being broadcast along with 2.4 GHz.

My advice.....use Apple's default settings, which are designed to deliver optimum performance without complexity.

Jan 28, 2014 7:40 PM in response to Bob Timmons

You may be asking about an option to assign a different name to the 5 GHz network. This does not "create" a 5 Ghz network, since 5 GHz is always being broadcast along with 2.4 GHz.

I believe the option is referred to this additional name. If 2.4 and 5.0 GHz are transmitted at the same time, what is the point to have this SSID? Ok, I just ignore it. Thanks for your reply.

How to configure my two AirPort Extremes to extend my wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.