Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone make an Apple Script for me?

I'm looking for an Apple Script so that when I press cmd+F1 on my Macbook Pro Retina it turns the brightness to 0 instantly. Rather than having to hold F1 down to make the brightness go down to 0.

Is this something that is even possible?

Thank You

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 16GB Ram and 500GB HD

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 9:39 AM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2014 10:21 AM in response to T.Edwards

There is evidently no direct way to do this, but there is an indirect way:

1. Download an app called SleepDisplay: Download SleepDisplay for Mac - Put your display to sleep instantly. MacUpdate.com
  2. put SleepDisplay in your Applications folder
  3. open Automator.
    1. Select service for type of document
    2. at the top, for service receives, select no input, and after in, any application
    3. in the column on the left, select Utilities
    4. in the next column, drag Launch Application over to the right, and select SleepDisplay for the app
    5. close the window with the red circle in the left upper corner, and give the service a name, like Dark.
  4. go to system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts
  5. select services in the box on the left, and scroll down in the box on the right until you find the service you just created. select that service.
  6. when you select it, a white oval should appear that says "add shortcut". Type in the shortcut you want to use. I couldn't get ⌘F1 to work, but control-option-⌘-D did work.

It must be a unique shortcut, not already in use.

Jan 26, 2014 10:36 AM in response to T.Edwards

Hello

Thank you so much for that way around. Unforuntatly is not exactly what im looking for.

This 'turns the display off' which is the same as using a hot corner to sleep the display.

When you have a video playing via HDMI cable. If you sleep the display it stops whatever is playing on the TV. This is why I need to turn the brightness all the way down to 0 rather than sleep the display.

Can anyone make an Apple Script for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.