Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Neighbors keep stealing my internet and resetting permissions - I know they are running Lion and I can't seem to stop them from resetting the wifi and firewall options in Maverick. It's killing my internet and driving me nuts.

Hi - I thougth I was crazy but after a full reinstall of Mavericks and I can still see the utility repair fixing problems I know my neighbors are stealing in internet and using it. They keep finding different ways to do it - the only way I know they are doing it is because when I login to the terminal it no longer uses my HD name but some long server looking name. I turned off my wifi and plugged it in directly. This time, after the reset, they modified my firewall permission and reset some ruby framework. I want to know how to stop this from happening. Please help.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:01 AM

15 replies

Jan 26, 2014 12:53 PM in response to JuliaAtlanta

JuliaAtlanta wrote:

Hi - I thougth I was crazy but after a full reinstall of Mavericks and I can still see the utility repair fixing problems

Are you referring to Disk Utility permissions repair? This has nothing to do with your wifi, internet or neighbors. Even after repairing permissions, some will always remain. Read this article for more info: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452 and read this one as well: https://support.apple.com/kb/ts1448

The name that shows in terminal may just be a different host name for your computer, for example instead of "Julias-MacBook" it shows "Unknownb2378687823", this is also not an indication of something being wrong (though I do not have the terminal skills to recommend a fix for that one).

Secure your router with WPA2 password protection and make the password something that is impossible to guess for anyone that knows you (no pet names, birth dates, phone numbers etc) Also make sure you check for the latest available firmware on your router as these fix vulnerabilities and exploits.

Jan 26, 2014 3:22 PM in response to jayv.

No, I know about all that. I am not a total idiot with computers. I have no done 2 full reinstalls, called the cable company, reset all security parameters and when I log in to my terminal (when I am not connected to the internet it does not have this long *** name, just my local name - but previously it never used a long c-150... name either and I called a few friends and none of their terminals display it either)

I also had to instantly do a disk repair when I did a clean install that is attached.

Is this normal?? Is this what you are seeing?? None of this seems normal to me - nor do I recall dealing with this before Maverick

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 26, 2014 8:04 PM in response to JuliaAtlanta

Whether or not your neighbors are getting into your wifi has absolutely nothing to do with Ruby frameworks, the name you see in Terminal, or anything else you've mentioned. Stop reinstalling OS X (reinstalling the system will have NO effect on your wifi) and do as suggested above - configure your router to set your wireless network password to a strong WPA/WPA2 password, and change its network name.

Matt

Jan 30, 2014 9:01 AM in response to JuliaAtlanta

What you are seeing in Disk Utility is normal. This does not indicate that anyone has had access to your computer, remotely or otherwise. If those same messages continue to pop up, there may be an issue with some software you have installed that is repeatedly changing the permissions on those items for some reason. There are also a number of permissions repair messages that should be ignored:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1448

As for the name you're seeing in the Terminal, that's controlled by your network. Some networks will use your computer's name, as set in System Preferences -> Sharing, for the initial port of the prompt, others will not. Sounds like the network your wifi router is managing is not, and is setting your computer's name on the network to something else, which is also completely normal.

If these are the only things you are seeing that make you suspicious, you can set your mind at ease. You have not been hacked, and none of this is any indication that the neighbors have hacked your wifi network either.

Jan 30, 2014 9:11 AM in response to JuliaAtlanta

More importantly, or at least as important, you must assign a strong password to your router's login. Service providers of DSL and cable have finally wised up and their routers now come with a preassigned and difficult to guess admin password, but not all. Right now, I'm certain it's at a default. Check the manual for your router, but it's probably something like:

Admin: admin

Password:

Sometimes it's the other way around. The admin name is blank, and the password is simply "admin".

Do this. From Safari, type this into the URL/search field at the top:

and press Enter. If the defaults are as simple as what I've shown here, that's how they keep getting back in so easily. All anyone has to do is be in range of your wireless signal, type in this same IP address and get into your router settings by using these uselessly easy to bypass admin name and password settings.

Once into your router's settings, they can see what you've changed the wireless login password to, and just login again. What you need to do more than anything is keep them out of your router's settings.

Go into the router's settings as I described using 192.168.0.1 in Safari. Find the wireless settings and turn all wireless off so no one is getting a signal. This will keep them out while you change things.

1) Change the router's wireless security to WPA2.

2) Change the wireless password to a new, hard to guess password as steve359 showed. Long, random, obnoxious passwords are best. At least 16 characters long.

3) Now, go to the admin login page and give the login password an equally long and difficult password. Remember to do all of this with wireless broadcasting OFF, or they will be able to watch everything you're doing.

4) Now turn wireless access back on. They will no longer able to login to your router to see your wireless access password. Not unless they manage to guess a very hard long and difficult password.

Make sure to write these passwords down so you can get back into the router without manually resetting it.

Jan 30, 2014 10:48 AM in response to JuliaAtlanta

JuliaAtlanta wrote:

previously it never used a long c-150... name either and I called a few friends and none of their terminals display it either)

Try this. Go into System Preferences, and click Sharing. Look at the top where it says Computer Name. What is the name there? If it is the c-150...name, change it to something you want. Now go back into Terminal. Which name is now shown?

I am suggesting this because I think Terminal simply gets the name from the Sharing name, but I'm not sure.

Also, the Disk Utility screen shot appears normal. And if you use WPA for your wifi network and set a strong password, the neighbors should not even be able to get in at that point. Once that is established, we can lower the level of paranoia quite a bit and assume the problem is not originating from the outside.

Neighbors keep stealing my internet and resetting permissions - I know they are running Lion and I can't seem to stop them from resetting the wifi and firewall options in Maverick. It's killing my internet and driving me nuts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.