Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was given a MSL code for unlocking my IPhone 5 upon termination stating other carriers will unlock upon providing the same but other carriers don't know how to unlock my using that code.Will Apple unlock if under warranty period?

I was given master subsidy code (MSL) by sprint upon terminating and was told that any carrier will unlock if MSL code is provided. But no carrier supports this which I learned after I quit Sprint. Who can help unlock this phone? (its still under Apple warranty).

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:41 AM

If the GSM side of the iPhone is not already unlocked, only Sprint can unlock the iPhone or send the unlock request to Apple on your behalf. The unlocking process is done with iTunes on your computer.

63 replies

Feb 5, 2014 6:53 PM in response to mkkaas

I have the exact same issue. Sprint provided me with MSL code after I ended the contract but I don't know what do with it. No one knows including Sprint ATT on what do with the MSL code. When I put the ATT SIM card, it does not work. Where do I enter this MSL code to unlock my phone to work in ATT?

Jul 31, 2014 1:51 AM in response to deggie

Do you mean a Sprint iPhone with MSL code could use other cdma carrier?

I need to unlock my Sprint iPhone to use a cdma carrier in other countries.

But it seems that unlocking a phone only unlocks the GSM network instead of CDMA.

Now my phone is SIM-LOCKED, but when i insert the UIM Card from the new carrier, it shows its name correctly and the signal is strong.

So I am really confused.

Jul 31, 2014 6:48 AM in response to Imhzw

Imhzw wrote:

Do you mean a Sprint iPhone with MSL code could use other cdma carrier?

I need to unlock my Sprint iPhone to use a cdma carrier in other countries.

But it seems that unlocking a phone only unlocks the GSM network instead of CDMA.

Now my phone is SIM-LOCKED, but when i insert the UIM Card from the new carrier, it shows its name correctly and the signal is strong.

So I am really confused.

No. You can not use it on another CDMA carrier. If you need to use a different CDMA carrier, you will need to buy a phone designed for use with that carrier.

Jul 31, 2014 8:14 AM in response to Imhzw

The iPhone does NOT support CDMA SIM cards. You may be able to see the data network that runs on a GSM/LTE network, but you will NOT be able to access the CDMA voice/data network.

If you have a Sprint phone, it can NOT be used on Verizon.

That phone is useless to you. You bought the wrong phone. Buy a phone intended for use on the network you want to use.

Mar 13, 2015 10:51 AM in response to wegras

I did, however the information in these threads are wrong and need to be corrected.

This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. People see these threads in Google searches and KiltedTim's advice is all they are going to see and it's completely wrong.

I have worked with CDMA/GSM systems for the past 3 years, I am simply trying to help people understand what their phone can be used with.

Mar 13, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Harrison_Taylor

Baloney. Prior to the iPhone 6 (which is when this thread was created), you could not move from CDMA to GSM or vice versa. In fact, the iPhone 5S listing page on Apple explicitly states this:

[http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s]

[Learn more about the unlocked iPhone]

The unlocked iPhone 5s includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment or a carrier installment plan. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone 5s on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T or T-Mobile in the United States. The unlocked iPhone 5s will not work with CDMA-based carriers, including Sprint and Verizon Wireless.

Same is true for the iPhone 5C.

Mar 13, 2015 12:00 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

That's true for unlocked iPhone 5c and 5s bought from Apple, they do not have CDMA capability.

That statement specifically refers to the unlocked AT&T/T-Mobile only model iPhone sold direct from Apple(Model A1532/A1533 GSM)

I was not referring to those though, I was referring to models that INCLUDE CDMA support. Such as models A1456 and A1453, which do include CDMA support.

• Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1533 (CDMA): CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1453: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

You also seem to have forgot:

If you buy iPhone for T-Mobile, it will arrive with a nano-SIM card already installed that you can activate by visiting an Apple Retail Store or a T-Mobile store or by calling T-Mobile. If you buy a SIM-free iPhone, you will need to purchase a GSM-compatible nano-SIM card separately. In the United States, you can purchase such a SIM from AT&T or T-Mobile. When you travel internationally, you can use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5s from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 5s model is A1533 (GSM). For details on 4G LTE support, see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

So yeah, the factory unlocked iPhone 5s/5c will NOT work with CDMA carriers, but that's not the statement I'm making.

Any iPhone released for a CDMA carrier(except the iPhone 4 which did not have a SIM slot) is capable of being used on GSM and other CDMA networks if unlocked.

The only CDMA capable phones that AT&T and T-Mobile have sold from Apple is the 6/6+, anything older from them is NOT CDMA capable.

I was referring to phones from Sprint, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular which DO support CDMA.

Apr 4, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Harrison_Taylor

So I have a sprint 5s that sprint says they have requested be "unlocked". They told me I would recieve a "message" within 24-48 hrs telling me its been unlocked. However its been about 36 hrs and nothing yet. I've read some posts that suggest I need to connect phone to itunes and restore to see this "unlock" message. if I do this should I take the sprint SIM card out first or is this not the right way? * I plan to use with verizon; I have already ported my number and have a verizon SIM.

I also have a 4s that sprint gave me the unlock code for but will not give any instructions on how to unlock To use with verizon. Any tips?

I purchased both phones new from Sprint 15 mo ago. I cancelled my plan and paid all termination fees.

Thank you!

Apr 4, 2015 2:34 PM in response to KiltedTim

Wrong.

You can insert a Verizon SIM into a CDMA-capable UNLOCKED 4s(IMEI must start with 99000 to use CDMA). However you will be limited to 3G CDMA EV-DO and LTE will NOT work. Verizon has stated time and time again that they are an open network and openly encourage the activation of non Verizon devices on their service.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYu2upOUQFI and

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone6

"An unlocked iPhone may be activated on supported GSM and CDMA carrier networks."

You're living in the past, CDMA is just as open as a technology as GSM.

I was given a MSL code for unlocking my IPhone 5 upon termination stating other carriers will unlock upon providing the same but other carriers don't know how to unlock my using that code.Will Apple unlock if under warranty period?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.