Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the airport express help with wifi in hotel rooms?

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 11:10 AM

8 replies

Mar 28, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

I am heading out to a hotel tonight that charges by device. I can snag 2 AP Extremes from my home. If the hotel has a sign on screen, will that prevent me from using the 2 AP extremes as noted above? My goal is to set up a wireless network for my kids' devices that doesn't require my own laptop to be present and on in the hotel room (as I have conferences to go to). If I understand the hack, I use AP #1 to wirelessly link to the hotel's network using my Powerbook and AP ultility to set it up (assuming I can't plug the AP into an ethernet port in the room). I assume if I use my powebook to answer the signon screen, all should work. Then I swap in the 2nd AP extreme using the ethernet cable (removing my powerbook) and set that one up wireless to build out a 2nd network, right?

Thanks

David Jones

Mar 28, 2014 9:33 AM in response to David Jones7

I can snag 2 AP Extremes from my home

If the hotel provides only wireless, then you will need at least one AirPort Express.....since it is the only device that can "join" a wireless network and then provide an Ethernet signal to a second AirPort. An AirPort Extreme does not have this type of capability.

So, in this setup, the Express is configured to "join" the hotel wireless network. Once that has been done, then connect an Ethernet cable from the Express to the WAN "O" port on the AIrPort Extreme and configure it to "create" a wireless network.

Once you have the Express and Extreme set up this way, you can take your laptop wherever you want and the network will continue to operate fine for other wireless clients that want to use it.

The hotel network only "sees" one device.....the AirPort Express....so, if the hotel charges for Internet use, you will only be charged for one connection.....even though the second AirPort is providing service for multiple clients.

Ideally, the hotel would have an Ethernet port in the room. Then, you only need one AirPort. Configure it to "create" a wireless network to provide service for multiple wireless clients.

In this type of setup, simply connect an Ethernet cable from the hotel wall port to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort.

Might be a good idea to call the hotel in advance to ask them what type of connections will be available in the room. You may only need to take one AirPort...and an Ethernet cable.

In either example above, you will have a Double NAT error message appear during the setup, just click to ignore that and the light will turn green on the AirPort "creating"' the network. Or, you can simply ignore the message and put up with a flashing amber light on the AirPort.

Mar 28, 2014 10:17 AM in response to David Jones7

I was hoping once I had the AP express set up and answered the first login screen, that it would't need my computer to keep it active

You may have to "renew" your connection once 24 hour period....which is common with most hotels.

But, once you have the first Express configured to "join" the network, you could use any device connected to the network to OK the service or charges for the next day, etc.

Jul 27, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have successfully connected my Airport Express to and am using the hotel ethernet and configured the airport express. I have successfully joined the newly created network on the AE and am able to access internet sites with an iPhone, iPad on the new wireless network from the AE but am only partly able to connect my Apple TV? The Airport Utility shows the Apple TV connected but activation and testing does not work? I reset the apple tv but am stuck?

Suggestions please?

My whole goal was to use my Apple TV?

Thanks, Rick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.