Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iphone 5s

My phone was stolen from me at knife-point on Friday. It wasn't locked and it unfortunately it had all my banking and personal information on it. I used Find my Iphone to request to erase the information on it a few hours after it happened. However, do you guys think I should remove it from my account as well? It says if I do it would remove my apple ID and thieves could sell it. I'm more concerned about them figuring out my password for my apple ID and having access to all my personal and banking information.

I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm truly so upset this happened and don't know the best route to take.

Thank you so much.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 12:35 PM

8 replies

Jan 26, 2014 12:42 PM in response to wegras

Thank you very much for your response Peter but my phone wasn't locked so I assume they had about an hour to explore what was on my phone and find my banking info.

I had Find my iPhone but it seems as if the phone I bought yesterday had that new Activation Lock feature whereas my other one didn't even though it was a 5s as well.

Do you recommend not removing it from the account?

Jan 26, 2014 12:43 PM in response to PsychMA

PsychMA wrote:

I used Find my Iphone to request to erase the information on it a few hours after it happened. However, do you guys think I should remove it from my account as well? It says if I do it would remove my apple ID and thieves could sell it.

The beauty behind the new iOS 7.0.4 is that with the new 'activation lock' in place the senario you are describing is in FACT inaccurate. What you've done to erase all data on your device then effectivily then removes all data from your device such that NO one can aceess your personal data. However, after doing this (erasing all content) this does NOT remove the password that was used when setting up find my device. The only way one is able to sell this device or for that matter to reuse the device is to know the password that was created when setting up 'find my device'.

I'm very sorry for this criminal act that is in fact the worst of this occurance as the device now is unusable unless you are able to collect the device from the perpatrator. The thief taking the device now owns nothing more than a very expensive paper weight.

again my apolgies for your unfortunate situation.

Stolen iphone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.