Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Completed Print Jobs

I want to delete the jobs listed in my Epson Stylus 740's printer log but can't. I tried searching my hard drive for a log to delete but can't find one.

I searched the forums and found a similar discussion here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1511428?answerId=7166275022#7166275022

However, when I tried following the instructions for CUPS, it asks for my iMac login and password. I'm the only user so I have an account name but without a password-I enter just my account name and I get bounced back with an error message because there's NO PASSWORD! Catch-22.

I tried using some of the Terminal commands suggested in the discussion such as lprm and the only response I get is "No active jobs".

Any suggestions?

iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 1:09 PM

13 replies

Jan 26, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Peter WP

Hello,

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Utilities from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access the Menubar at top.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Reset Password from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Reset Password.

Jan 26, 2014 5:17 PM in response to BDAqua

The problem is not the password but deleting the Printer Log. I don't use a password since I'm the only user of this computer. Since I'm the Administrator, I can access everything on my drive and don't have any problems logging in. The password field in my account setup is left blank, but apparently CUPS expects a password, even after entering the correct user name.

Thanks for the reply.

Jan 27, 2014 2:49 PM in response to Peter WP

I doubt that it was set up originally without a password but it could be set to not require a password for login.

You could try to create a new Admin account in System Preferences/Accounts and use that to do whatever you wish.

In future never attempt to use a Mac without a password as it can result in considerable difficulties.

If you can create an Admin account with a password you could use that to enable the 'root user' (Google if you need info on this) and use that account to reset your main account password in System Preferences/Accounts.

Jan 28, 2014 4:38 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

I'm the only one with access to my Mac and it's at home so I see no need to add a password for login, except to get the CUPS command to work. So I suppose I could create a password just to complete the task then delete the password, but that sounds silly to me.

I did find a solution to my problem, however.

I entered Terminal and typed " cancel -a- " (eliminate the quotations). Now the Print Queue (Completed AND Deleted Jobs) is clear.

I do appreciate the responses from everyone. Thanks!

Deleting Completed Print Jobs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.