13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2014 11:56 AM by BDAqua
Peter WP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want to delete the jobs listed in my Epson Stylus 740's printer log but can't. I tried searching my hard drive for a log to delete but can't find one.

I searched the forums and found a similar discussion here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/7166275#7166275

However, when I tried following the instructions for CUPS, it asks for my iMac login and password. I'm the only user so I have an account name but without a password-I enter just my account name and I get bounced back with an error message because there's NO PASSWORD! Catch-22.

I tried using some of the Terminal commands suggested in the discussion such as lprm and the only response I get is "No active jobs".

Any suggestions?

iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (120,375 points)

Hello,

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Utilities from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access the Menubar at top.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Reset Password from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Reset Password.

• Peter WP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The problem is not the password but deleting the Printer Log. I don't use a password since I'm the only user of this computer. Since I'm the Administrator, I can access everything on my drive and don't have any problems logging in. The password field in my account setup is left blank, but apparently CUPS expects a password, even after entering the correct user name.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand, but for everything to work smoothly you need a Password that is more than blank.

• Neville Hillyer Level 4 Level 4 (1,860 points)

I doubt that it was set up originally without a password but it could be set to not require a password for login.

You could try to create a new Admin account in System Preferences/Accounts and use that to do whatever you wish.

In future never attempt to use a Mac without a password as it can result in considerable difficulties.

If you can create an Admin account with a password you could use that to enable the 'root user' (Google if you need info on this) and use that account to reset your main account password in System Preferences/Accounts.

I'm the only one with access to my Mac and it's at home so I see no need to add a password for login, except to get the CUPS command to work. So I suppose I could create a password just to complete the task then delete the password, but that sounds silly to me.

I did find a solution to my problem, however.

I entered Terminal and typed  " cancel -a- " (eliminate the quotations). Now the Print Queue (Completed AND Deleted Jobs) is clear.

I do appreciate the responses from everyone. Thanks!

I still strongly advise keeping a record of your password as there are likely to be other issues in future.

I don't think it is possible to set up OS X without a password so I assume one does exist.

Using a space for a password is equally dangerous as it may not be accepted in future.

Perhaps try what I said earlier.

Peter, just asking... are you aware that even with a password for your user that you can have it automatically login you without having to input the password?

No, I didn't know that.

I have the Missing Manual for OS 10.5 so I'll have to read up on login and see what the auto login can do for me.

Thanks for your follow-up advice!

System Preferences>Accounts, unlock the lock, Login Options>Automatic login...

SysPrefsAutoLogin.gif

On 28 Jan Peter WP wrote:

No, I didn't know that.

On 27 Jan Neville wrote:

I doubt that it was set up originally without a password but it could be set to not require a password for login.

Actaully, older versions of OSX did allow a null PW with just enter/return required, but they fixed that later, & a null PW can cause real havoc when migrating to a later OSX version where one is required.

• tranduyninh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm try to print this page: http://www.anphabe.com with Mac OS 10.10 but my print can't detect the content of the page?

Print Preview of that page shows up fin here in 10.5.8 using Firefox, if you're using Safari, might try Firefox instead.