Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto becomes unresponsive

I recently got a new camera (Nikon D7100) which produces 24-mega pixel images. Now, when I download my images to iPhoto and double-click on an image to view it larger, once I'm in the large view, iPhoto becomes unresponsive. I'll try and click on the arrow to take me back to the collection of photos and nothing happens. If I try and delete the image with the delete key, nothing happens. I have to quit out of iPhoto and relaunch it. Restarting my computer had no effect.

I'm using an older Mac (a 2 x 3 GHZ Dual-=Core Intel Xeon) with 11GB of memory, and I'm running iPhoto 11 (v9.4.3). Is there anything I can do to make iPhoto more responsive short of buying a new computer?

Mac OS X (10.7.4), 12GB RAM

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 2:22 PM

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Post back with the result.

7 replies

Jan 26, 2014 8:55 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry, that did improve things, thank you. However, things were still kinda sluggish. I got the bouncing beachball frequently when sorting through my photos after the rebuild. But at least it didn't bog down entirely.

I'm wondering whether it'd be advisable to keep my photos in smaller libraries? Like start a fresh library every year or two? When I created the test account and only had a half dozen photos in there, iPhoto was quite responsive. When switching back to my full library with tens of thousands of photos, it was sluggish.

Jan 26, 2014 8:58 PM in response to Raymond Fox

No - my library is about 65,000 photos - not a problem

Try downloading iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - and use its rebuild command - this will make a totally new library leaving your existing one intact for future use as needed - the new library contains only sharable items so does not contain projects, keepsakes, etc

LN

Jan 27, 2014 4:24 PM in response to LarryHN

>Try downloading iPhoto Library Manager <

Larry, are you suggesting iPhoto Library Manager because its rebuild command may be more effective to fix my big library than iPhoto's? Or because you're suggesting I do create a new library, and use iPhoto Library Manager to manage the multiple libraries?

>The new library contains only sharable items so does not contain projects, keepsakes, etc<

You kinda lost me there. I'm not sure what constitutes a sharable item. Are you saying a new iPhoto Library Manager-created library would not transfer over project like slideshows and books?

Jan 27, 2014 4:52 PM in response to Raymond Fox

IPLM creates a totally new library form the old one - so often it is more successful - and it leaves the existing library untouched so you can go back to it if you do not like the results so it is no cost and no risk - it does not keep non shareable items like projects, keepsakes, etc - yes not keeping means that they are not there in the new library

LN

iPhoto becomes unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.