Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about BootCamp

I just recently purchased a 17inch MacBook Pro. It has been updated to Mavericks and has a 512GB solid state hard drive. It comes with BootCamp and I am interested in utilizing BootCamp. I just have some questions about it.

First, when I took a look at the setup, it states it will install Windows 7. Is that correct or would I need to procure my own copy of Windows 7?

Second, I have a 1.5 TB external hard drive that I have partitioned. I have 500GB partitioned for Time Machine so the backups are not on my MBP. I have the other 1TB just regular space. My question is can I partition the rest of the external hard drive to be able to install games and whatnot to use on the Windows. I already know I cannot install the Windows itself on the external hard drive, but games should be able to be installed there, right?

Third, if I do utilize BootCamp, because my internal hard drive is not already partitioned, would I need to reinstall OS Mavericks for the MBP in order to partition the hard drive for Windows?

Fourth, if the answer to question 2 is yes, would I need to completely format it and lose everything in order to partition it to have space for the Windows programs?

I'm not new to Apple or technology in general, just some unfamiliar areas to me being new to the MacBook family. Any help is definitely apprecaited.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 1:51 PM

2 replies

Jan 28, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Amberlynn12

In theory you can go ahead an install Windows 7 (you have to buy it) on your MacBook Pro.

You can partition (and remove a partition) on your MBP as many times as you like without affecting any of your OSX files or data. Windows needs to reside on the partition within your machine. You can have files and data on an external drive or drives, but not the operating system - you can boot the operating system from the internal drive.

If the internal drive is not the original drive that came with the machine you are very likely going to run into problems installing Windows - problems that neither Apple, Microsoft or anyone else on this forum can assist you with.

My suggestion is try it, but don't have high hopes of succeeding.

Jan 28, 2014 3:19 PM in response to Amberlynn12

You should be able to use Bootcamp to install Windows onto a Bootcamp created partition on your internal drive. Make sure you read the Bootcamp support stuff, which will help you decide what version of Windows to purchase and help with knowing how the install is done.

A couple other things to think about. Games are usually easier to keep on the operating system drive. They will run a lot better there since that drive is fast compared to paging in all your graphics from a slower external drive. You might just plan on erasing or copying the stuff off when you move to a different game later on. A 100 GB Windows partition can hold a lot of games. And erasing long lists of old game saves can recover a lot of wasted space.

Rick

Question about BootCamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.