Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing Apple Mobile Device USB drivers

Hi

I am having all sorts of problems backing up my devices.

It took a while to work out the issue but the problem seems to be that the apple mobile device drivers keep disappearing from the USB section of device management and I need to keep restoring them to using the procedures outlined in the Apple help sheet titled iOS - Device not recognised in ITunes for Windows.

I need to go into the file explorer and manually identify the folder with the driver to "update" the driver.

I need to do this every time I restart the laptop and connect one of my devices.

Any ideas why the drivers will not remain in the USB section of device management?

Regards

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 3:05 PM

7 replies

Jan 26, 2014 3:20 PM in response to port50side50

Sounds like your operating system - Windows - has become unreliable and flakey? Possibly because you or someone else has unkowningly installed something that's causing it to have a problem. Another possibility is your PC is experiencing an intermittent hardware failure - hard drive having a problem for example. It might be a good idea at this time to back up anything you deem important and take it to your nearest PC repair centre and ask them to have a look at it.

Jan 26, 2014 5:56 PM in response to port50side50

I've also had issues with Windows and devices appearing wirelessly.

You might just need to stop the Apple Mobile Device Service and then restart it. It really is a quick and easy thing to do.

In the windows search bar type Services

Click on Local

Tap Apple Mobile Device Service

Stop it

Start it

I usually do this now before I even open iTunes and then my devices appear every time.

Disappearing Apple Mobile Device USB drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.