Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade to Mavericks from Mountain Lion myself or take it in to the Apple pros?

Should I do the upgrade to Mavericks from Mountain Lion (on my iMac and my MacBook Air) myself? Or would it be wiser to take it in to my local Mac-repair (authorized) shop?

The older I get, the less I know, and the more leery of doing thing like this myself.

If it's one of those easy upgrades with no problems afterwards, I'd like to know. Maybe I'd do it myself.

Just looking for advice.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 3:12 PM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2014 3:23 PM in response to PatsyKB51

Mavericks was also a painless upgrade for me. But I'm a moderately experienced Mac guy. Allan is a very experienced Mac guy.

But here's a few things to consider:

1. Any new OS has some bugs and incompatibilities with old software and hardware. If you are uncomfortable with basic Mac troubleshooting, then perhaps waiting would be a better strategy.
  2. If you have any mission-critical software or peripherals, make sure they are compatible first.
  3. Mavericks does not play well with some old/bad software and hardware:
    1. Crapware: anything that purports to "clean", "monitor", "protect", or "accelerate" your mac. Unnecessary on Macs and often harmful. Examples: CleanMyMac and MacKeeper (the King of Crapware).
    2. antivirus software.
    3. WD hard drives.

So if you have CleanMyMac and MacKeeper and antivirus software on your WD hard drive (they're all very popular), I'd say don't.

Jan 26, 2014 4:06 PM in response to arthur

No crapware here.

I do use an external WD drive for my Time Machine backups, but don't use the WD software. (I've already removed the WD Smartware from my computer.)

I think, given the fact that I really don't enjoy sleuthing out possible issues after an upgrade, I might either wait (how long, I'm not sure) or take the computers in to my local pros and let them deal with it.

Jan 26, 2014 4:48 PM in response to PatsyKB51

You'll have to give the local pros your Apple ID and password so they can install Mavericks linked to your Apple ID. Otherwise you won't be able to update to future builds.

Personally, it's so easy to do it yourself that I wouldn't want anyone else to do it unless it was an Apple store and the were aware thatlinking to your Apple ID is necessary. As long as you've got Time Machine working and have a current backup you're pretty well protected from problems.

OT

Should I upgrade to Mavericks from Mountain Lion myself or take it in to the Apple pros?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.