Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions regarding hard drive upgrade on MBP if Bootcamp is already in use

I'm using a Late 2011 13" Macbook Pro running OSX Mountain Lion. I also have partioned my hard drive and am using Windows 7 with Bootcamp. In general I use OSX for school work and Windows for gaming.

I have already upgraded the RAM on my MBP from 4GB to 16GB and recently looked into upgrading my Hard Drive (currently 500 GB; 300 for OSX, 200 for Windows). I was interested in this SSD.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this SSD compatible with my MBP?
  2. How should I back up my current hardrive before inserting a new one (I currently have a 2 TB WD My Passport for Mac).
  3. Is it possible to back up both operating systems and put them onto the new hard drive?
  4. Will I have to repartition the new hard drive?
  5. Will I need to buy a new Windows 7 license?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 4:02 PM

3 replies

Jan 26, 2014 4:39 PM in response to neptune_1

That is not a SSD. It is a Seagate Hybrid drive consisting of a rotating hard drive and flash storage section. It is a very good drive and almost as fast as a reall SSD. Yes it is compatible with your Mac. I'm currently using one in my late 2011 MBP.

Use Time Machine to backup your current OS X install. you will need Winclone to backup and restore the Windows partition. Or just save your important files from the Windows partition to a NTFS formatted drive and then reinstall Windows once you transfer the OS X partition to the new drive with Time Machine.

Yes you will need to use Boot Camp Assistant again to repartition the new drive for the Windows partition whether you use Winclone or not. OS X, Time Machine, can't backup the Windows partition.

No you don't need to buy a new license for Windows 7 as long as you still have the license key code for the current install.

Jan 27, 2014 3:12 AM in response to neptune_1

1) If the drive is formatted for Mac OS X you can still use it for Time Machine and the original files you have on it should not be touched. But it is suggested to have a separate drive for Time Machine.

2) It will make the loading of the OS and programs much faster. You already have the Max amount of RAM and you'll probably never use all of it so the only thing that is slowing your Mac down is the slow 5400RPM standard drive installed in it.

Questions regarding hard drive upgrade on MBP if Bootcamp is already in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.