Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does a system restore erase software from an iMac?

Hello, I won an iMac at an auction. It is fully loaded with all kinds of design software. It also has a huge library of iTunes songs. The administrator account is logged in so I'm able to use it but I can't do any updates or add new software because I don't know the administrator password. If I take it into the Genius Bar and have them do a system restore to reset the password, will I lose all of the software and data? Thanks in advance for any input.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Password reset for administrator

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 6:36 PM

6 replies

Jan 26, 2014 7:48 PM in response to ashb624

If at all possible, get install discs for the software or download the installers from the software manufacturer's website (whichever is applicable) and keep them somewhere safe/back them up.

You can't reset the administrator password without the install discs for the computer, so you'll want to call Apple and request a set if they did not come with the machine.

You can boot the computer up into Single User mode and type some commands to reset the password, but it's much simpler if you use the install disc.

~Lyssa

Jan 26, 2014 8:51 PM in response to ashb624

A reinstall is the best (and really the only) way to make sure you can reinstall the OS in the future or download updates to apps. With the new digital only delivery, new licensing limitations have been implemented and neiither the OS nor any applications obtained or accepted at the app store are transferable. They are tied to the Apple ID originally used to obtain them.

When you get the install disks, simply boot from them, wipe the entire drive, and reinstall the OS.

Does a system restore erase software from an iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.