Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn Off Only Ad Popup Notifications in iTunes Radio

Hello, I just upgraded to Mavericks and iTunes 11.1.4. I've noticed that in addition to the played songs in the Radio that there is an advertisement every few minutes... I like that song titles and artists popup, but the popup advertisements have got to go. Honestly, I didn't pay a GRAND for this computer to have advertisements on my home screen - smacking me in the face every few minutes. Please, please let me know how to turn off the ad popups. Pandora doesn't advertise this much and doesn't have popups like this. That's my only alternative right now because I can't stand people asking me to buy things (essentially asking me for money) while I'm listening to music. It's the worst, even worse when it's a popup link on my screen.

Also, could you let me know where all the radio stations went? Seems that iTunes liquidated all the different stations and there are only a few to choose from now. Any way to get those back? Was there some reasoning behind this?

Thanks so much for your guys' help in advance. I really appreciate it.

-Appleguy514

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 500GB HD, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:27 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "popup notifications" since there are no additional windows that ever open when an ad is played on iTunes Radio, but you can eliminate the ads by subscribing to and enabling iTunes Match.

If by "radio stations" you mean the internet radio stations, rather than iTunes Radio the option may have gotten unticked in the prefs. Open iTunes Prefs > General and make sure "internet radio" is selected.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2014 10:27 PM in response to Appleguy514

I'm not sure what you mean by "popup notifications" since there are no additional windows that ever open when an ad is played on iTunes Radio, but you can eliminate the ads by subscribing to and enabling iTunes Match.

If by "radio stations" you mean the internet radio stations, rather than iTunes Radio the option may have gotten unticked in the prefs. Open iTunes Prefs > General and make sure "internet radio" is selected.

Jan 29, 2014 6:17 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael Allbritton wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "popup notifications" since there are no additional windows that ever open when an ad is played on iTunes Radio...

Oh really?

User uploaded file

And it's always the same ad, like brainwashing almost. Hate it ads every five mintues. Also, sberman, I'm not a heavy iTunes Radio user or even a super regular music listener. That's why when I do listen I don't want ads, and I SHOULDN'T HAVE THEM. I paid for this computer, they shouldn't be making more money off my iTunes use besides me buying songs; especially this obnoxious popup way. I'm sure others feel the same way.

So Michael Allbritton and sberman, the only solution is for me to pay Apple even more money for what should be a standard feature?...... Guess I'll stick with Pandora for my music listening. Thanks but no thanks.

Jan 29, 2014 6:20 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Also,

Michael Allbritton wrote:

Thanks for this, I rechecked it and see that it was moved over to the right side of the iTune window.

Jan 29, 2014 6:48 AM in response to Appleguy514

Appleguy514 wrote:

Oh really?

Yes, really. That is not a popup ad generate by iTunes. It is a track change notification from Notification Center. If you wish to not hear ads on iTunes Radio you can subscribe to and enable iTunes Match.

If you do not wish to see the track change notifications open Sys Prefs > Notifications and find iTunes in the list. Drag-n-drop it to the bottom of the list so it is under "not in notification center."

Turn Off Only Ad Popup Notifications in iTunes Radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.