Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to update my iPad from to 5.1.1 to 6. Or higher?

When I go to settings/ updates, it says I am updated at 5.1.1 but offers no other update options. Thx

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 9:07 PM

Hi Gini,

Sounds like you have an iPad 1, and if that is the case, you are as high as you can go with that device.

Cheers,

GB

13 replies

Jan 26, 2014 9:25 PM in response to Gini Maddocks

Well, I would need to know what your setup is....

Do you have Pages on your Mac? If so, what OSX are you running on the Mac?

There is an App in the App Store called Open Word that is compatible with Microsoft Word documents. So, that might be an option for you.

Take a look at that app in the App Store on our device, or under Apps in iTunes on your computer. If you decide to go that route, then you can download Microsoft Office which includes Word from the Microsoft website.

There are other community experts that have more knowledge than I concerning Word processing between the iPad and a computer-based app, so hopefully one of them will see this thread.

I have an iPad 1 as well, but I really don't use it for word processing... 😟

I use Microsoft Office on my Macbook Air, and occasionally Pages, but just not really fluent in the various options you undoubtedly have! Fingers crossed that one of our esteemed community members will pick up this thread!

Best of luck!

GB

Jan 27, 2014 9:00 AM in response to Gini Maddocks

Greetings Again!

I have done some research, and found the following info.

I will keep looking, and post on the thread, but currently, I can't find anything that will synchronize with a computer and ipad 1.

I did, however find a very nice word and PowerPoint processing app. It is linked below

App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-to-go-standard-office/id317117961?mt=8

Hope this all helps, and please don't hesitate to email me directly! (Below)

Thank-you!!

Matt Baird

<edited by host>

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Jan 27, 2014 7:34 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Thanks for the tip. I had tried this before but was unable to get it to work. It seems to be working now.

Pages works very well on an iPad1. I have written entire papers on it. Just be careful about Pages for the Mac. I don't think you can download old versions on the Mac. The lastest version of Pages is not compatible with the version of Pages that work. You can make it work, but you will have to remember to never save to iCloud. Use only the Export as Pages 09 to save documents to iCloud that can be opened on the iPad.

Is it possible to update my iPad from to 5.1.1 to 6. Or higher?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.