8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2014 1:02 AM by Dirty Vegas
Trial User Level 1 (0 points)

So as you all know the iPhone 5 has recently been discontinued due the 5c and 5s being released. But my iPhone 5 broke so does anyone know if apple would replace my phone? I'm going to the store soon but would just like some future info if anyone has any. Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4
  • Myninjaninja Level 2 (180 points)

What happened?! Yes they still have iPhone 5's at an apple store for things like this. They don't sell them at an apple store anymore but they can still trouble shoot them. They still support iPhone 4's. So you should be safe to take it in.

Make sure you have a back up and check your warranty status, you can do that here selfsolve.apple.com and put your serial number in there for the iPhone 5 and it should tell you your warranty status.

Hope this helps!

• Trial User Level 1 (0 points)

I have a warranty on it and everything. what happened was i somehow slept on it and it bent and the frame of the phone is snapped but the phone still works except for the fact that it can no longer read the sim. I know they should replace it for 40-50 dollars. I just was wondering if they still had the iPhone 5 or if they couldn't cause the stopped making it.

• steve359 Level 6 (13,297 points)

They are taking in damaged units and refurbishing them regularly.  They should have in store or can get them transferred quickly.

• Myninjaninja Level 2 (180 points)

Ya if you've got the AppleCare+ warranty then they can replace it without any problems. The great thing about replacing at the Genius Bar is the phones there most of them are new and you'll be the first person to ever use the device.

• Dirty Vegas Level 4 (1,430 points)

"Discontinued" means that new items are no longer for sale. Replacements and parts will still be available for quite some time. The concept is no different from any other item you own.  Ask any owner of an Oldsmobile, Saturn or Pontiac.

• Trial User Level 1 (0 points)

So they aren't really discontinued at that point, more so still being produced just not for public sale.

• steve359 Level 6 (13,297 points)

Whay take market away from the 5c and 5s?  But they can service the 4 and 5 series.

Some non-Apple warehouses have back-stock of 4 and 5 to sell as "new", but Apple does not use them as sources.

• Dirty Vegas Level 4 (1,430 points)

Trial User wrote:

So they aren't really discontinued at that point, more so still being produced just not for public sale.

How Apple chooses to maintain levels of service parts/replacements is not information shared with the public.  There is no need for it to be.  The iPhone 5 is discontinued.  Older models as far back as iPhone 3Gs are still being supported at the Genius Bar.