Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install windows on my MacBook Pro7,1 (Version 10.6) **doesn't have an optical drive**

I recently replaced my HDD for a 1 GB SSD. Then I took out my optical drive and installed a HDD. I wanted the extra space to store videos and pic and such. I also upgraded the RAM.

I want to use bootcamp to install windows on my macbook pro. However, when I go to Boot Camp Assistant, its says "You need an optical drive to install Windows."

***I removed my optical drive and now have a HDD. I want to use a USB.***

SO, after I click continue... it gives me two options. Option 1 says Download the Windows support software for this Mac. Option 2 says I have the Mac OS X installation disc that came with my Mac or I have already downloaded the Windows support software for this Mac to a CD, DVD, or external disk.

My question is, HOW DO I INSTALL WINDOWS on my Macbook pro?

do I have to have an optical drive? that means, I have to take out my HDD and put my optical drive back in. Or can I just use a USB? if so , HOW?

Can I install Windows (7, 8.1) to a USB? Or download the Windows support software to a USB? and click on Boot Camp Assistant and click option 2? so when it asks me to put in the CD, I can just plug in the USB and install the Windows support software? and then put the codes in to install windows?

I hope I'm making sense. I saw several videos on Youtube and i just need some help.

Thank You.

MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro 7,1 (Version 10.6)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:18 PM

2 replies

Jan 27, 2014 7:58 AM in response to tb2942

So basically, I have trying to install windows on my mbp using a usb drive. However bootcamp wont allow me to do so since I have a optical drive on the laptop. I have been searching for a long time and eventually came across this solution and I would like to share this so u guys dont have to google all over the place again 🙂.

The solutions given before by changing info.plist is correct except that now Bootcamp crashes everytime you change it in OSX 10.9.

Full solution:

1. Add your Boot Rom Version(from system info) under DARequiredROMVersions.

2. Add Model Identifier(from system info) under PreUSBBootSupportedModels

3. Delete "Pre" from "PreUSBBootSupportedModels", so you have "USBBootSupportedModels"

The first 3 steps are same as before and if its not clear you can easily google solutions with screenshots.

The next step is only for OSX 10.9, as it employs some kind of code signature to prevent you from changing info.plist and cause bootcamp to crash.

4. Open your terminal, use the following command

sudo codesign -fs - /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app

Sudo means using administrator privilege and u need to enter your mac password. And the command resigns the bootcamp application so that it runs with the new info.plist file and not crash.

5. Continue on with your installation....

Cheers.

P.S. back up info.plist before u change anything.

Install windows on my MacBook Pro7,1 (Version 10.6) **doesn't have an optical drive**

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.