Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight indexing and .mdimporter files

I did a clean install of MacOS 10.9.1 on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011), 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM. A day after restoring old user files and apps (using Migration Assistant) I was testing the Spotlight indexing and noticed that a large number of files in the Documents folder were not getting indexed. I then noticed that Spotlight was only about 1/20th finished indexing the drive and indicated "6 days" to complete the indexing. I did several rounds of stopping the indexing, deleting the index, and restarting the index and the situation never changed.

I then came across this article:

https://medium.com/computer-says-no/6f22422bbd59

which suggested that bad? files in the /Library/Spotlight folder might be the cause. Here is what was in that folder:

Finale.mdimporter

GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

iBooksAuthor.mdimporter

iMovie.mdimporter

iWeb.mdimporter

iWork.mdimporter

LogicPro.mdimporter

Microsoft Office.mdimporter

I deleted all of the above files, rebooted and then restarted the Spotlight indexing. This dramatically changed the speed at which the new index was created - it did so in under two hours. However, I am now concerned that Spotlight may fail to index documents created by Finale, iWork, Microsoft Office, etc. or that it may impede Time Machine's ability to do a proper backup of the drive (since TM uses the Spotlight index).

Does anyone know if my concerns are valid?

Does anyone know how these .mdimporter files work?

If I restore one of the .mdimporter files back to its original folder, and restart, will Spotlight now include those files in its indexing?

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 1:43 PM

I realize I am replying to a post over a year old - but there is still much web talk about this goofy file from the Finale install package.

After a lot of testing and looking at items in Console, I determined the bad file in my Spotlight re-indexing routine was the Finale.mdimporter.

Based on dozens of posts in other forums, you can delete this file with no ill effects to running Finale. I did just that, then restarted. The Spotlight re-indexing finished within about five minutes.

Give it a try...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2015 1:43 PM in response to thedatadude

I realize I am replying to a post over a year old - but there is still much web talk about this goofy file from the Finale install package.

After a lot of testing and looking at items in Console, I determined the bad file in my Spotlight re-indexing routine was the Finale.mdimporter.

Based on dozens of posts in other forums, you can delete this file with no ill effects to running Finale. I did just that, then restarted. The Spotlight re-indexing finished within about five minutes.

Give it a try...

Spotlight indexing and .mdimporter files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.