Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning Promise RAID after synchronization

I've recently purchased a Promise Pegasus2 R4 diskless. I purchased 4 x 4TB WD drives.

Using the Promise pegasus wizard, I created a RAID 5 which brings my total drive space to 12TB.

Now I would like to partition the RAID.

1. 8TB video

2. 2TB photos

3. 2TB misc.

How do I do this?

Should this be done using

a. the Promise utility,

b. Mac OS X disk utility

c. should the partitioning be created using the Promise utility at the point when the RAID is first created?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 10:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 11:55 PM

If, in OS X Disk Utility, the raid set displays as one un-partitioned empty drive, then I can see no reason why Disk Utility would not work to preform the partitioning to your requirements; as there is no data on the raid set yet, give it a go - it's the ideal time to experiment 🙂

Also, in order to use the Promise software, it would have to have a feature which partitions the RAID set AFTER the set has been created. It may not have such a feature.

Message was edited by: SilverSkyRat

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2014 11:55 PM in response to Sevak Dilanchian

If, in OS X Disk Utility, the raid set displays as one un-partitioned empty drive, then I can see no reason why Disk Utility would not work to preform the partitioning to your requirements; as there is no data on the raid set yet, give it a go - it's the ideal time to experiment 🙂

Also, in order to use the Promise software, it would have to have a feature which partitions the RAID set AFTER the set has been created. It may not have such a feature.

Message was edited by: SilverSkyRat

Feb 12, 2016 5:39 AM in response to Sevak Dilanchian

hello all

I have an easy solution to the issue after experiencing the same problem. I have the R4 with 4 x 1TB. Upgraded the drives to WD red pro 2TB x 4 but after going through the process using the promise software for initialising and expanding the raid...it still showed only 3TB usable. Note i had done a complete back up of all data across to a drobo for safety. All the data on the R4 was intact after the new disks were inserted but even trying the Apple disk utility... nada change. Tried rebooting everything - nada. Disk warrior failed. However, i have been using Drive Genius software as a background integrity checker for my main iMac for some time - It does a better job of permission fixes and a range of other stuff also then any original apple software - a great investment. Well, little did i know it also has a button to expand raid drive.. Initial check when clicking the button showed indeed, the R4 had 8TB available but only 3TB was being used. I simply keyed in 6TB into the box, clicked apply and Voila! job done, dusted, completo and problem nada anymore. Drive Genius - best hardware and software integrity checker on the market with a lot of the in built functions. And for the record....i also contacted Promise...they got back to me eventually in about a week with some convoluted method to simply give them some information about my system....thanks guys at promise....have a look at drive genius...these guys have got their Sh_T together!

Partitioning Promise RAID after synchronization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.