Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4, Erased with Find my iPhone, will not re-activate

First of all:

1. I have no firewall or anti-virus software blocking ANY outgoing connection
  2. my iPhone is not jailbroken
  3. I have never used my MacBook Pro to jailbreak another device
  4. there is no gs.apple.com entry in my hosts file
  5. I have tried to re-activate the phone from three different wireless and wired Internet connections
  6. I have tried to re-activate the phone from my own iTunes which as been synced to the iPhone hundreds of times

Here's what happened:

1. I left my phone in a taxi three nights ago
  2. I went on to Find my iPhone and locked and erased the phone
  3. I received a call a few minutes later and the iphone was returned to me within an hour

After three days I have been unable to re-activate my phone.

1. I have tried three Apple-based high-speed networks
  2. I have powered the phone on and off over and over
  3. I have held down the home and power button to re-reset the phone
  4. I have treid the in-phone activation more than 100 times and the same thing always happens
    1. If I use the iPhone connected to wireless, the iPhone says, "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes.
    2. If I try to activate with iTunes I get the following message from iTunes, The SIM card inserted in this iPhone is PIN locked. Please enter the PIN code of your SIM card and connect your iPhone to iTunes again.

The phone is not asking me to unlock the SIM, I know the code for the SIM but the iPhone doesn't ask for it. The iPhone doesn't ask for me to log in to my iCloud account with my iCloud details, which I also have.

Surely the point of "Find my iPhone" is that once one gets the iPhone back one is able to somehow use the phone again.

Can anyone shed any light on why I can't re-activate my own phone?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 17" Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 3:25 AM

6 replies

Jan 27, 2014 3:33 AM in response to splurben

splurben wrote:

Can anyone shed any light on why I can't re-activate my own phone?

Because your sim card is locked with a sim pin. To fix, use another phone to remove the sim pin, then put the sim back in your phone, or get another sim from your carrier that is not locked with a sim pin. If you don't know the sim pin, you'll have to contact your carrier to get the PUK code to unlock the sim.

Jan 27, 2014 4:09 PM in response to splurben

PROBLEM SOLVED by Apple Support Chat

In order to get around this issue I had to put the phone into RECOVERY MODE, and connect it to iTunes.

Here is the support article that tells you how to put your iPhone into RECOVERY MODE. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Connecting to iTunes in RECOVERY MODE worked even though all my iPhone backups are in iCloud not in my iTunes.

It is NOT TRUE that you can't re-activate and recover your iPhone if your SIM is locked.

It is NOT TRUE that you have to unlock your SIM in another phone if you are trying to re-activate your iPhone with a locked SIM.

It is NOT TRUE that you need to get a new SIM from your carrier if you're trying to reactivate your iPhone with a locked SIM.

All you need is a computer running iTunes, your SIM PIN, your iCloud login and password, and you need to put your iPhone into RECOVERY MODE. (See link above or click here.)

Message was edited by: splurben — Fixed a typo.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4, Erased with Find my iPhone, will not re-activate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.