Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s sim-free (A1453) in Japan

Hello,

Could anyone provide some information about the iPhone 5s that is currently sold as sim-free from the online apple store in Japan?

I would like to know if this phone will work with european sim cards (from gsm operators like t-mobile, orange, play) .

The reason I am asking is because I got two diffrent answers in two Apple Stores in Tokyo - in Ginza they told me that it will work fine, and in Shibuya they said that it will work with any japanese operators AND it will lock itself to the first operator used with this phone.

I am not leaving the country for next few months so it would be nice if this particual phone could work properly here in Japan and later in Europe.

Here is the website:

http://store.apple.com/jp/buy-iphone/iphone5s

There is section about the sim-free, which translates to (by google translator!):

About the iPhone SIM free.

All the features of the iPhone is equipped with the iPhone SIM free, but there is no wireless contractual obligations.You can select your favorite businesses from telecom operators of wireless networks that support NTT DoCoMo, KDDI, such as Softbank, and use them to activate the iPhone. For more information about SIM SIM and whether it can be used, please contact your wireless service provider to use. The iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c SIM free, there are times when it does not correspond to the 4G LTE network in some countries. Please contact your wireless service provider for details.

If you do not want a service contract signed a multi-year, if you want to use the telecom operators of local overseas, it is recommended that you choose an iPhone SIM free. Since the nano-SIM card is not included with the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c SIM free, please obtain a card from the network operators countries corresponding. Is inserted into the slot of the iPhone this card you just put the power press and hold for a few seconds the on / off button, you can start using the iPhone. Please set according to the display on the screen then.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 4:56 AM

21 replies

Sep 8, 2017 4:37 AM in response to wmahler

Hi Wmahler, did you ever sort this out? I know it was a long time ago. I have the same model etc. Did the take the phones back, did you get your $ back? Did they unlock the (Network lock) (SIM LOCK) (GEO block).

For 3 years, I have had an iPhone 5s A1453 - ME338J/A, and I want to take it when I leave Japan.

It may end up being used as an I pod if I cant.

Thing is it connects to local networks when i am OS.

So I know it works in other countries with the Japanese Docomo SIM,

Thanks Walt

Jan 27, 2014 5:10 AM in response to blankblank2

The real question to be asked here is: If you don't live in Japan or intend to use the phone there, why in the world are you purchasing an iPhone there? Your warranty/support will only be valid in Japan, & it won't support LTE in Europe.

Buy your phone in Europe, & your warranty/support ios EU wide & the phone will support LTE.

But, it's your money, do what you want.

Feb 5, 2014 12:53 AM in response to blankblank2

Yes and if you purchased a sim free phone rather than an unlocked phone, then your phone will be locked to that European operator and will not now work with any other sim cards.

Unfortunately, sim free does not mean the same as unlocked and if you buy a sim free phone, then it will lock to the first sim card that you put in the phone.

It is a shame that you did not listen to others and purchase your phone in Europe rather than Japan - false economy here really and you may find that you need to purchase another phone once you move to Europe.

May 2, 2014 9:15 AM in response to blankblank2

I am traveling in asia for 4 months. I just purchased 2 iPhone 5S 64GB devices from the Ginza Apple store. They are both: A1453 models.

When I talked to our Apple Store representative, Josh S, he said that the phone is unlocked and would work on any GSM carrier. I finally just received an AT&T (GSM) sim card shipped to me in Japan. The sim card does not work on either of the phones.

I called the Apple Care, they told me to talk to Japan Apple Care, I'm going to try that tommorow.

If what I'm hearing is correct, the Ginza store told me the wrong information and I just spent a ton of money on 2 phones that are lemons. They had to put a sim card into the phone to get past the activation lock. I feel like they could have then locked both of the devices to SoftBank as my model number comes up as ME338J/A, on the iOS > Settings > General > About > Model information, which appears to be a SoftBank phone.

I am really not happy about this. I will post here when I go to the Apple Store tommorow. The problem is they told me this 30 days ago, and I thought I was fine. I just finally received my sim card and I'm past the 14 day return policy and now I have a 2 iPhone 5S 64GB devices that don't work with a GSM simcard.

iPhone 5s sim-free (A1453) in Japan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.