Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlists containing podcasts do not sync to iPod Classic

The smart playlists are appearing perfectly in iTunes and on my Windows 8.1 machine.

However, on the iPod, they are empty.

I tried deleting and re-creating but nothing helps.

This was working fine earlier and I am not aware that I changed any settings.

Any idea how to troublshoot this, or what could be causing the problem? Could it be a bug in the latest version of iTunes?

Other OS, Itunes 11 on Windows 8

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 5:29 AM

Add the rule Playlist is Music for any music playlists to ensure no podcasts qualify for the list.

Not at iTunes with a device right now, but I think you either can't sync playlists containing podcasts any more, or you need to select them separately on the Podcasts tab for the device. You would possibly add a Playlist is Podcasts rule to make sure only podcasts qualify.

Mixed lists don't seem to be able to sync.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2014 5:29 AM in response to Stella.Polaris

Add the rule Playlist is Music for any music playlists to ensure no podcasts qualify for the list.

Not at iTunes with a device right now, but I think you either can't sync playlists containing podcasts any more, or you need to select them separately on the Podcasts tab for the device. You would possibly add a Playlist is Podcasts rule to make sure only podcasts qualify.

Mixed lists don't seem to be able to sync.

tt2

Jan 27, 2014 5:57 AM in response to Stella.Polaris

Update - it's not possible to select "Playlist is Podcasts" as Turingtest suggested. That option is not present in the dropdown of choices.

Here is an example of how these Smart Playlists are set up. The smart playlist "Bitcoin" is just a merge of all good podcasts on Bitcoin, then the second list, in the screenshot is refining the criteria.

I can't copy either of these lists onto my iPod.

User uploaded file

Jan 27, 2014 6:26 AM in response to Stella.Polaris

SOLVED.

Turns out that if you have a smart playlist with PODCASTS, you have to tick the playlist for transfer to iPod in TWO places.

• First tick the Smart playlist on the Music tab.
  • Then again in the Podcast tab under the header "Include Episodes from Playlist"

The problem is that "Include Episodes from Playlist" is only visible on the Podcast tab if you scroll far down.

Since you already ticked this playlist for transfer once, you do not expect to have to find this place, and tick it AGAIN.

Sort out the usability of this, Apple!

Smart Playlists containing podcasts do not sync to iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.