Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone adapter wall socket blew up!

My grandson gave me his old iPhone 4S to use plus adapter which, he bought from amazon as a genuine product (I know what you are thinking!) he told me it needed fully charging up. This I did when I got home plugging it into a wall socket low on the wall in my kitchen near to my dining table. I kept checking how it was getting on but it did not appear to be doing much. After about 2hrs I sat at the table to do some work, checked again, still no improvement when all of a sudden the plug exploded, very very loud bang, shooting the front part and the inners right past my leg (thank goodness the socket was not head height, makes me shiver to think what might have happened). The back of the adapter with the pins is stuck in the socket, black inside the plug and around the socket and the phone lead shot out of the adapter.

I thought it had fried the phone but after I had gotten over my fright (well I am 66!) decided to try to charge it up with my ipad2 adapter as there appeared to life left in the phone! This worked perfectly. Since this has happened I have checked the internet and it would appear that Apple were replacing some of these adapters last year at a reduced price if they were taken into one of their shops.

I do not have a shop near me and I cannot find a correct telephone number (uk) to ring about this as it feel someone should be advised. My grandson has now gone back to university a long way from me as I am sure he would have helped me with this.

Would be grateful for any help. Is it still ok to charge the phone with the ipad2 adapter?

I have taken photographs.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 12:43 PM

I know what you are thinking!

Certainly am 😉

The iPad charger will be fine ,Apple show the latest 12w charger as compatible as far back as early iPods

You really need to take the damaged one in to an Apple Store if possible if it is a genuine Apple product they would likely want to see it and if not ....they will bin it

Yes they would exchange non Apple items but it ended in Ocober 2013

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2014 12:43 PM in response to nannym

I know what you are thinking!

Certainly am 😉

The iPad charger will be fine ,Apple show the latest 12w charger as compatible as far back as early iPods

You really need to take the damaged one in to an Apple Store if possible if it is a genuine Apple product they would likely want to see it and if not ....they will bin it

Yes they would exchange non Apple items but it ended in Ocober 2013

Jan 28, 2014 9:57 AM in response to wegras

Thank you. Having prised the back of the adapter from the socket and searched the internet for clues! the only thing that seems to give it away is the weight, everything else looks right, no wonder a lot of people get caught out. I do not have an apple store near enough for me to warrant taking this in and I am not going to make an expensive phone call to tell them about it as they obviously well aware that it's happening. Had I been injured it would have been a different matter.

As I have an ipad2 adapter I will continue to use that for the time being.

Once again thank.

Jan 28, 2014 1:21 PM in response to nannym

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4127

Apple does not reccommend that you buy ony kind of charger from a 3rd party this is not because we just want your money but this is for your safety! Apple is the one who makes the chargers and are designed correctly to make sure that something like this happens. When you buy one off amazon real cheap then it is a risk of being made cheaply and possibly not going to work correctly either. I posted a link above for you read on the direct apple website for ya. Glad your okay though 😀

Jan 28, 2014 1:33 PM in response to brizer321459

Thank you for the advice. I am of "the old school" as we say in the uk "you get nought for nought!" It was actually my grandson that bought it and forgot to mention it to me until after it blew up! In a way it was good that it happened to me, at least I was home when it happened. I know they tend to leave things plugged in and leave the house which we also know is not a safe thing to do, could have caused a fire. I will certainly read your link and indeed pass it on to my family, who all have apple products.

iPhone adapter wall socket blew up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.