Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solved my Home Sharing Connection Problem

I finally have SOLVED my Home Sharing connection problems. I've been unable to wake my iMac to connect to iTunes from an Apple TV2 for all of the Mavericks builds. I've followed a lot of discussions on the subject and tried everything I found. But then I stumbled across some conversations about there being TWO was to share in iTunes - and that one should use one or the other but not both. Using both apparently leads to conflicts. The two methods are 1) 'Share my library on my local network' in iTunes>Preferences>Sharing and 2) Home Sharing in iTunes File>Home Sharing. So I unchecked 'Share my library on my local network', quit iTunes, restarted my iMac and opened iTunes. I still wasn't able to wake my iMac from sleep with the Bonjour Sleep Proxy from the ATV until I then Reset the Apple TV - not Restart, but Reset and then update. That was a week ago and I am now able to reliably and consistently wake by iMac from sleep for Printer Sharing, Printopia from an iPad and with an Apple TV for music streaming. Do hope this help0s someone else...

Apple TV, iOS 7.0.4, iMac running iTunes 11.1.4

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 7:32 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2014 4:16 PM in response to tuckermanfromwanstey

I've invested a bit of time investigating Home Sharing iTunes and "Wake on Demand" issues with my iMac and ATV3. I have repetability with the issue of ATV3 dropping home sharing, I'm closing in and will post again once I've nailed this.

In addition to Tuckerman notes, consider the following...

Troubleshooting Home Sharing http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972

"Wake on Demand"

Link:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

Excerpt:

The wireless network you use with Wake on Demand should be the first wireless network in your list of Preferred Networks. The wireless network priority can be set within the Network pane of System Preferences using the following steps:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences…

From the View menu choose Network.

Select Wi-Fi from the list of network interfaces.

If the padlock icon in the lower left is locked, click it. When prompted enter an admin name and password to unlock.

Click the Advanced… button.

In the Preferred Networks list under the Wi-Fi tab, click and drag the name of your network that uses Wake on Demand to the top of the list.

Click OK to save the settings.

Click Apply, then close System Preferences

Apr 18, 2014 5:14 AM in response to Tuckerman Moss1

Cool beansTuckerman! I think I was affected by both the; competing Home Sharing settings and the introduction of the second home network channel (same Network name but on two channels; 2.4 and 5 GHz). Home Sharing settings are as suggested (Thanks) and the wireless Wake on Demand settings worked out.

Thanks again. I believe this most frustrating problem is resolved.

John

Solved my Home Sharing Connection Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.