Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with video recorded with iPhone

I recorded a few videos at an event on my iPhone 4S, running iOS6. 5 videos in total. When I watched them back on the handset, they all played back with no problem. When I got home I transferred them to my laptop for safe-keeping/freeing up some space.

When I went back to watch them on my laptop, two of them won't play. By default, I use VLC player, where I get the error message "VLC can't recognize the input's format: The format of 'file:///C:/Users/Tracey%20Allan/Desktop/iPhone%20pics/IMG_3929.MOV' cannot be detected. Have a look at the log for details." The other 3 videos played, no problem. I tried opening them in iTunes. Same problem - played 3, wouldn't even acknowledge the existence of the other two.

I then tried putting them back on my phone via iTunes. The 3 that play have transfered with no issue, but it won't transfer the other 2. I get an error message saying "IMG_3929.MOV was not copied because the video format is not supported by the iPhone"

I have tried running them through a converter programm Any Video Converter. Again, when using one of the 3 ok videos, I can convert no problem. The 2 that I'm having issues with? I can't even add it to the jobs list...

So, is there anything that can be done to recover/restore them? Or are they permanently dead? 😟

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 8:54 AM

7 replies

Problem with video recorded with iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.