Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Microphone Sensitivity

I have had complaints since I received my iPhone, of people not being able to hear me and/or understand me. However, I recently received a bluetooth headset and people say things are %100 better. Is there a way to boost the sensitivity of the microphone on the iPhone?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 9:11 AM

3 replies

Jan 27, 2014 9:16 AM in response to Mom36a

There is no setting for the mic, however check out this support document and see if anything there helps you. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1631

Do you use a case on your phone? I found that occasionally, when holding my phone, I slip my little finger under the phone to steady it. I hold the phone with my right hand. In doing so, I can inadvertently move the finger slightly over the microphone opening on the phone, and people can hear that, and it will affect the mic. Just an observation on my part, not saying you are doing any of this.

Jan 27, 2014 2:50 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the response. The support document has to do with the volume through the speakers; I'm not having that problem, so far.

I have a Lifeproof case on my phone. I mostly hold the phone by the sides, with no fingers on the bottom. Also, when someone complains I usually move my hand and the phone around with no improvement.

After searching online, I see several people have this problem and wonder if there is a problem with the microphone itself?

Thanks again.

Jan 27, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Mom36a

Actually, that is something else that I have experience in. My son had a Lifeproof case on his phone and when he called me the sound was awful. He called Lifeproof and they were aware of this issue and sent him a replacement case immediately. It seems that it has something to do with both the noise cancellation opening by the camera, and the membrane by the microphone. Give them a call, they are real good about it. They will send you a replacement and just ask you to return the old one.

If you want to test this before you call Lifeproof, you can remove the case and do a test call. My son did the same you did, used the Bluetooth and it worked great, then removed the case and the calls were crystal clear. Good luck.

iPhone Microphone Sensitivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.