Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add colour to mailboxes in Mail sidebar?

Hi there,

In the Lion forum, someone recently asked how she could "create color mailboxes, or add dividers/separators to the mail sidebar to more easily distinguish mailboxes" in the Mail sidebar.

She added: "I’m not interested in color messages from different senders, but the mailboxes themselves"

I use Mavericks... so I'll post this very question again here on the Mavericks site—because I think it refers to a missing feature that would be very useful to many of us.

How hard can it be for Apple programmers/coders to allow us to add some colour to all the dull grey mailboxes in the Mail sidebar??!!

And if an Apple coder can't or won't do this... any 3rd-party app-makers out there paying attention?

I've happily paid for Herald (love it) and Mail Hub, because I want some extra customization and functionality that Apple doesn't provide.

Regards,

Malcolm

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 11:05 AM

5 replies

Aug 12, 2017 8:14 AM in response to Malcolm Hamilton

Apparently, my eyes (and yours) can see a wide light spectrum (aka colors) that Apple management and engineers are unable to see - I feel so blessed.

Apple has made the stupid decision to remove all color from sidebars of their apps (mail, iTunes (ugly)) and even from the Finder. This last one really irritates me because it reduces the usability of the overall system. Colored folders were a favorite of mine and have been replaced by a nearly unnoticeable small color dot. I thought something was wrong with my install when I first discovered this "feature". Apple GUI engineers/managers have really lost their way and do they not even talk to the end users? I am no fan of the flat interface but I got used to it (real life is not flat and boring like this) but why the hang up of removing color from apps. Steve Jobs had no problem with color and used it wisely but the Cook era seems to be only gray scale, which is boring and ugly and looks like it came from the early 1980's.

Fortunately, there are 3rd party apps that bring color back to the finder sidebar but iTunes and Mail are still stuck in old school grayscale.

I look forward to Apple "inventing" color for apps and sidebars and herald it as a major advance is usability.

bars.

Hey Tim, you proudly proclaim the new iMac screens can display over 1 billion colors but for some reason, your company decides to include zero colors in your apps sidebar, please explain this logic? Gray does not enhance usability it really hurts it since I can no longer identify items by color - so sad this was removed.

Aug 12, 2017 10:34 AM in response to w1432

The purpose of these support communities is to post specific information that other users can help you solve. Droning on with an editorial about Apple engineering, and Tim Cook shortcomings subverts any possible solution, and could very well get your post lit up by the Apple team that administers these communities.

Neither Tim Cook, any Apple leadership, or product teams participate here, so you are just wasting your breath, and our time.

How to add colour to mailboxes in Mail sidebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.