Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have connected my ipad to my hd tv via a hdmi cable. I can play music video but not films. The on screen message says "the connected display is not authorised to play protected movies"

I have connected my pad to my hd tv via a hdmi cable . I can view everything on my ipad including music videos BUT NOT FILMs

The on screen message says "the connected display is not authorised to play protected movies"

Is this correct?? Do I need another gizmo???

It's very frustrating

Many thanks

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 10:53 AM

Hello Trevor198,

The following article provides further information regarding this message.

HDCP requirements

iTunes Store movies (SD and HD) and TV shows (HD) require an HDCP digital connection such as the one provided when using the Apple Digital AV Adapter and HDMI cable. If you attempt to play this content using a non-HDCP digital connection, such as the Apple VGA Adapter, an alert will appear to let you know that an HDCP-compatible device is required. To view iTunes Store content using a non-HDCP digital connection, do one of the following:

• Sync the SD version of the TV show
  • Use an Apple Component AV cable to play the HD version at 480p
  • Use an Apple Composite AV cable to play the HD version at 480i

Attempting to play rental content on a device that requires an HDCP digital connection may start the rental timer. Use one of the recommended Apple AV cables to view your rental before the time limit expires.

iOS: About Apple Digital AV Adapters

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4108

Cheers,

Allen

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Trevor198

Hello Trevor198,

The following article provides further information regarding this message.

HDCP requirements

iTunes Store movies (SD and HD) and TV shows (HD) require an HDCP digital connection such as the one provided when using the Apple Digital AV Adapter and HDMI cable. If you attempt to play this content using a non-HDCP digital connection, such as the Apple VGA Adapter, an alert will appear to let you know that an HDCP-compatible device is required. To view iTunes Store content using a non-HDCP digital connection, do one of the following:

• Sync the SD version of the TV show
  • Use an Apple Component AV cable to play the HD version at 480p
  • Use an Apple Composite AV cable to play the HD version at 480i

Attempting to play rental content on a device that requires an HDCP digital connection may start the rental timer. Use one of the recommended Apple AV cables to view your rental before the time limit expires.

iOS: About Apple Digital AV Adapters

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4108

Cheers,

Allen

I have connected my ipad to my hd tv via a hdmi cable. I can play music video but not films. The on screen message says "the connected display is not authorised to play protected movies"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.