Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I would update Snow Leopard to Mavericks, would I have this?

Hello, everybody!

As I got no real experience comments from people who updated Mac OS from Snow Leopard to Mavericks on a MacBook White Unibody, on this discussion, now I'm trying to be more concise, and ask you for more specific questions on the matter.

So, if I would updated to Mavericks, Would I have…?

• VoiceOver Voices in different languages, as they come from factory since Lion, or stayed just with the English ones I have now?
  • Full Screen capability of all apps at the same time? Now, it's like my PC has only one "Full Screen", so, when you open one app on Full Screen, all the others go to windows.
  • The newest versions of iLife, iWork, Photo Booth, Stickies…? Now, I have Garage Band 6.0.5, iPhoto 9.2.3, iMovie 9.0.4; iWork 9.1, Photo Booth 3.0.3, Stickies 7.0
  • iChat, iWeb, iDVD, Front Row, X11… as I have now, or would them be erased or changed for other apps? Or I would not be capable for running them, as the Power PC apps I have and can run now?
  • Chess app in Spanish too, as it comes from factory since Lion, or it still remains only in English, as now?
  • Spanish dictionary on Disctionary app? Now I only have English and Tesaurus on my Mac, and the capability of searching on wikipedia on internet from the app?
  • Timer Coalescing, App Nap, Compressed Memory, GateKeeper, app's sandboxing, Automatic Versions… or any of those is not allowed on my MacBook White unibody?
  • The ability to see the complete miniature windows opened on the same desk as easy as sliding up four fingers on the trackpad (as I can see now the ones opened on the same "Space")?
  • To update my RAM? Now I have 2 Gb, and I saw it is exactly the requirment of Mavericks. I'm not sure which was the requirement of Snow Leopard, which actually runs pretty fine.

This is enough now for helping me to take or not the decission. Thank you all.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 2:34 PM

Depends on the exact model of your Macbook - if this is yours ( just picked a white one):

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.1-white -13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

Then Mavericks will not run on it. Here are the requirements (which mention a late 2008 aluminum, not white):

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Your profile mentions a mid 2010? If this is yours:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-white -13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html

Yes it can run Mavericks.

The other questions can be addressed once we figure out if yours can run it. FWIW, you need at least 4 GB RAM for it to run well (more is better).

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2014 2:34 PM in response to Cauac

Depends on the exact model of your Macbook - if this is yours ( just picked a white one):

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.1-white -13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

Then Mavericks will not run on it. Here are the requirements (which mention a late 2008 aluminum, not white):

Your profile mentions a mid 2010? If this is yours:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-white -13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html

Yes it can run Mavericks.

The other questions can be addressed once we figure out if yours can run it. FWIW, you need at least 4 GB RAM for it to run well (more is better).

Jan 27, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Cauac

Instead of asking us (volunteer users like you here) to give you very lengthy answers to your very lengthy and detailed post, why don't you look at this first as this may very well answer most of your queries.

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/

The only thing I will add is 2 GBs of RAM won't cut it. 2 GBs of RAM doesn't even cut it for Snow Leopard!

A minimum real life working RAM amount for all Intel OS X versions is really 4 GBs .

Your year and model MacBook can take up to 16 GBs of RAM.

I would advise purchasing and installing, at least, (2) 4 GB RAM modules for a total of 8 GBs of RAM.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

Jan 27, 2014 5:37 PM in response to MichelPM

I have already read the whole part of OS Mavericks on apple's page, and it does NOT say anything about my questions here. As you could see, I had already asked about general behavior of the update on MacBooks like mine and, as got nothing concrete, I opted for being more specific this time. ¡Please, notice that you find NOTHING about Mavericks' incompatibility for running PowerPC apps on the page you suggested, and that it requires 2Gb of RAM! I'm not sure if it's plenty enough for running fluently, as it has been on Ssnow Leopard. People from iShop told me Mavericks is not as heavy as it was Lion…

On apple's page I read, for instance, that App Nap could not work on all MacBooks models, not sure if on mine…

I would really appreciate comments from people who have experienced the updated.

Jan 27, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Cauac

On apple's page I read, for instance, that App Nap could not work on all MacBooks models, not sure if on mine

Your Mac model (hardware) has less to do with that than the OS version you are running. Here is some info on app nap - appears to work with Mavericks according to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

As we both already mentioned, 2 GB of RAM is not enough. 4 GB is considered a minimum, 8 is much better (depending on your usage pattern).

Please, notice that you find NOTHING about Mavericks' incompatibility for running PowerPC apps

PPC apps haven't been supported since Lion was introduced (2011).

Full Screen capability of all apps at the same time?

Sorry, but how do you propose having more than one app at full screen at a time?

Your iLife will be updated; and there are newer app store only versions available.

iChat, iWeb, iDVD, Front Row, X11

iChat has been replaced - you will need to check into it.

iWeb has been discontinued. So has iDVD, but if you have it installed, it still works. Front Row was discontinued. No idea about X11.

Jan 27, 2014 10:33 PM in response to babowa

app nap - appears to work with Mavericks according to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

I've been looking for it again. You say App Nap would work on my macbook white, it seems it wouldn't, according to:

Power Nap

Supported by the following Mac models:

• MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro with Retina display
  • iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012)

At least, one question less :-). I'm not quite as sure with all the rest of new odd and eds…

PPC apps haven't been supported since Lion was introduced (2011).

Your iLife will be updated;

iWeb has been discontinued. So has iDVD, but if you have it installed, it still works. Front Row was discontinued. No idea about X11.

PowerPC applications are supported on Snow Leopard, my actual OS. As apple does not mention anything about on http://www.apple.com/osx/http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/, I can easily guess that same thing could happen with other apps, like FrontRaw, iWeb or the others apps I mentioned. For me, it sounds strange that apple offers its best ultimate OS just for free. I think there's something hidden for user like me, with Snow Leopard., for instance, not to update Voice over Voices, PhotoBooth or anything else…

I'd like to be completely sure of what i'd have, for example if I'd have spanish dictionary and VoiceOver voices before updating. If not, probably it does worth to do so.

Sorry, but how do you propose having more than one app at full screen at a time?

By means of something we call SPACES on Snow Leopard, and you called MISSION CONTROL, if I'm not wrong, on Lion and upper. You can switch among different desks running every one a different app on FullScreen, can't you?

By the way, which OS did your macbook pro come with from factory? the one that is running mavericks now.

Jan 27, 2014 11:01 PM in response to Cauac

Hola

- VoiceOver tiene las voces en Español (con acento de España, Argentina, Colombia y México) con varias voces distintas femeninas y masculinas a elegir.

- Pantalla completa es una opción que algunas aplicaciones utilizan y otras no. Está ahi y depende de los programadores que la impleenten o no.

- iLife se puede descargar gratis o actualizar versiones antiguas, pero iWork es de pago, y solo se actualiza si tienes versiones antiguas, stickies ha sido substituido por notas, que es compatible con iOS. Photobooth sigue.

- iChat es ahora Mensajes, X11 ya no es parte del sistema pero se descarga en caso de ser necesario. Front Row al menos en mi ordenador ya no existe (no es compatible con los mandos a distancia). Las aplicaciones PPC no funcionan.

- Ajedrez está en español.

- Diccionario Vox en español integrado, y en otros idiomas (alemán, chino, coreano, italiano, francés, neerlandés y japonés)

- Todo lo demás también, son mejoras internas del sistema.

Jan 27, 2014 11:05 PM in response to Cauac

I've been looking for it again. You say App Nap would work on my macbook white, it seems it wouldn't, according to:

Well, you asked about App Nap and, looking at the page I linked to, App Nap was tested by Apple with mavericks:

User uploaded file

Frankly, I do not know if powernap is the same thing as app nap.

As for your question: my MBP is a mid 2012 and came with Lion. My iMac came with Snow Leopard and is running both it and Mountain Lion.

I'd like to be completely sure of what i'd have, for example if I'd have spanish dictionary and VoiceOver voices before updating. If not, probably it does worth to do so.

As we are all other users here, I'd suggest you go to an Apple store and get your answers directly from the source.

Jan 28, 2014 12:05 AM in response to el_mancebo

el_mancebo wrote:

Hola

- VoiceOver tiene las voces en Español (con acento de España, Argentina, Colombia y México) con varias voces distintas femeninas y masculinas a elegir.

- Pantalla completa es una opción que algunas aplicaciones utilizan y otras no. Está ahi y depende de los programadores que la impleenten o no.

- iLife se puede descargar gratis o actualizar versiones antiguas, pero iWork es de pago, y solo se actualiza si tienes versiones antiguas, stickies ha sido substituido por notas, que es compatible con iOS. Photobooth sigue.

- iChat es ahora Mensajes, X11 ya no es parte del sistema pero se descarga en caso de ser necesario. Front Row al menos en mi ordenador ya no existe (no es compatible con los mandos a distancia). Las aplicaciones PPC no funcionan.

- Ajedrez está en español.

- Diccionario Vox en español integrado, y en otros idiomas (alemán, chino, coreano, italiano, francés, neerlandés y japonés)

- Todo lo demás también, son mejoras internas del sistema.

Gracias, el_mancebo, pero tengo inquietudes; las voces, las pantallas completas, el diccionario en varios idiomas siempre las tuviste o sólo cuando hiciste el upgrade a Mavericks. Mi MacBook tampoco tiene infrarojo, necesario para el mando a distancia; aún así, incluía de fábrica FrontRow, así como sólo incluye diccionario en inglés y chino, si mal no estoy. ¿Tú lo tuviste y lo perdiste despues del upgrade o nunca lo tuviste? Qué SO tenías antes de pasarte a Mavericks?

Thanks, el_mancebo, but i have stiil questions. VoiceOver voices, FullScreen apps, multilingual dictionaries… did you always have them or only since you updated to Mavericks? My macbook doesn't have IR necesarri for remote control, even though FrontRow came from factory with it, the same that only English and Chinese (i guess) dictionaries on the app dictionary. ¿Did you miss FrontRow after updating or did you never have it? Multilingual language dictionary came new with Mavericks or you always had it? Which was your previous OS, before Mavericks?

Jan 28, 2014 12:23 AM in response to babowa

You're right, babowa, I'm not sure if app nap is the same that power nap. (It's a new question! :-s.)

I know Lion came with Spanish (and probably more languages) dictionary, and chess on Spanish too. Snow leopard's are only in English. I wanna be sure if after updating, I would remain having them only in English, as the VoiceOver Voices I have, or if they all would be updated to multilingual ones…

Certainly, I've been visiting some iShop stores on Bogotá. They are always remarking maps and ibooks, but none there is completely sure about this specific (possible) improvements… I'm still investigating.

Jan 28, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Cauac

Creo que tu inquietud, es si paso del sistema 6 al 9, ¿me pierdo las novedades del sistema 7 y 8? La respuesta es NO.

El sistema 9 incluye todas las novedades de los sistemas anteriores y algunas mas.

Y que se distribuya como una actualización no es real, se descarga el sistema completo, de hecho se puede meter en un pendrive e instalarlo en un ordenador vacío. Pero eso lo dejamos para los expertos.

Muchas cosas que preguntas ya venian en el sistema 7 u 8, lo único nuevo en Mavericks son los diccionarios en varios idiomas.

Sobre las cosas que vas a perder. Bueno mas que pérdidas es porque las cosas cambian, ahora los trailers de Front Row salen en la tienda iTunes. Todo lo de DVD está desapareciendo, porque ya cae en deshuso, todo va ahora por internet en vez de en soporte físico, ya los Macs nuevos vienen sin lector de discos.

Tienes suerte de que tu ordenador se pueda actualizar y ganar un montón de mejoras que han ido saliendo durante estos años, espero que te animes y te actualices.

If I would update Snow Leopard to Mavericks, would I have this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.