Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall or prevent SocialPushAgent, storeagent, etc.?

I have a late 2009 Macbook (6,1) in which I have upgraded RAM (8gb) and SSD (240gb). I am running Mavericks 10.9.1. I am interested in tweaking the background applications and/or processes that Apple thinks are "integral" to the user experience. (I am not a "power user," and I am not uber confident in Terminal, but I am interested in eliminating unnecessary apps and/or processes that drain from my limited resources, even if it is minute drains.)

The items I wish to prevent/remove/annihilate are SocialPushAgent and storeagent. I will add more here later, but this is a start.

Call me old fashioned, but if and/or when I want to use Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc., I will access it myself and do not want a process constantly running dedicated to this service. The same goes for storeagent; I want to update my software manually, and do not want this mess running. These services are not what I want as part of my user experience, so how can I remove/prevent/annihilate them. And equally important, how can I do this without losing functionality or without any negative side-effects?

One such process--iTuneshelper.app--I have successfully stifled by following advice to rename the app from within package contexts to "iTuneshelper-disable.app," and so far there are no bad-time-biddies to report. Any opinions and advice on this number are also welcome.

Message was edited by: ayiti2015

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 8gb RAM, new 240gb SSD

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 12:23 PM

8 replies

Jan 27, 2014 3:30 PM in response to ayiti2015

Storeagent is the background service used by the app store: it checks your hard drive for installs and offers updates. You do need that - you can, if it doesn't stop running once you quit the app store app, stop the process in Activity Monitor. It will faithfully start up again when you launch the app store next..... FWIW, I don't see SocialPushAgent in mine, but that is because I have Notifications turned off completely and do not have any social media accounts or iCloud/syncing.

Jan 27, 2014 3:35 PM in response to baltwo

well, storeagent keeps spontaneously reviving itself. but when i have force-quit it and ensured it has not come back alive, i have tried Apple>Software Update and the MAS loads perfectly fine. Checking Activity Monitor then shows storeagent has come back. I am actually able to kill storeagent while MAS is up and loaded--however, if i click on any of the tabs it is summoned again.

question: if i have killed storeagent with MAS loaded, is it just a trick or lag in the MAS user interface, while in reality the MAS.app is dead in the water? i guess the answer is a moot point since any click will again summon storeagent.

so, my understanding of storeagent is: storeagent is always silently talking with apple servers and is ready to notify the user if it finds updates of any kind available. i do not want this always working. i would much rather prefer to do the checking myself, when i want to.

Message was edited by: ayiti2015 and FWIW too: i agree, this SocialPushAgent comes and goes when it pleases. something tells me it is summoned on certain websites, but i'm not a programmer and i don't know if that's possible.

Jan 27, 2014 3:43 PM in response to babowa

wery wery interesting... the only social media acct i have is facebook--i don't use twitter, i don't use icloud, and the only syncing going on is between some webdav accts, like box.com, zotero (bibliography), and google calendar and google contacts. i do not, however, use the native mail app or messages or facetime. i have accounts for them on my iphone, but i deliberately chose not to tell this Macbook that i have any and i chose not to set them up.

does knowing this information help sort out what SocialPushAgent is or why it might be activating?

also, i have followed steps to completely turn-off notification center as well, via terminal etc.

Jan 27, 2014 3:58 PM in response to babowa

So I just went into Users>System>Library>Launch Agents and renamed com.apple.SocialPushAgent.plist to ...SocialPushAgent-disabled.plist and did a restart. First thing I did was pop open activity monitor and sure enough, SocialPushAgent was alive. Here is a read-out of the Open Files and Ports associated with it. After looking at it, can one of you discern whether it truly is a "coreservices" item? Babowa says he doesn't have it running, which makes me think no. i suppose if i reallllly wanted to diasble it, i would go to the CoreServices folder and rename the app from there?

/System/Library/CoreServices/SocialPushAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/SocialPushAgent

/System/Library/Frameworks/Social.framework/Versions/A/Social

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ApplePushService.framework/Versions/A/ApplePus hService

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OAuth.framework/Versions/A/OAuth

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accounts.framework/Versions/A/Accounts

/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation

/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib

/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AccountsDaemon.framework/Versions/A/AccountsDa emon

/System/Library/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork

/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreLocation.framework/Versions/A/CoreLocation

/usr/lib/libz.1.2.5.dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/XPCObjects.framework/Versions/A/XPCObjects

/System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfig uration

/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreData.framework/Versions/A/CoreData

/System/Library/Frameworks/GSS.framework/Versions/A/GSS

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/RemoteViewServices.framework/Versions/A/Remote ViewServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationS ervices

/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox

/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DataDetectorsCore.framework/Versions/A/DataDet ectorsCore

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Deskt opServicesPriv

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.fram ework/Versions/A/HIToolbox

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SpeechRecognit ion.framework/Versions/A/SpeechRecognition

/usr/lib/libauto.dylib

/usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib

/usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio

/System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration

/usr/lib/liblangid.dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MultitouchSupport.framework/Versions/A/Multito uchSupport

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit

/usr/lib/libDiagnosticMessagesClient.dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PerformanceAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/Perfo rmanceAnalysis

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GenerationalStorage.framework/Versions/A/Gener ationalStorage

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Sharing.framework/Versions/A/Sharing

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Backup.framework/Versions/A/Backup

/usr/lib/libCRFSuite.dylib

/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

/usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libcache.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libcommonCrypto.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libcompiler_rt.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libcopyfile.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libcorecrypto.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libdispatch.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libdyld.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libkeymgr.dylib

/usr/lib/system/liblaunch.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libmacho.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libquarantine.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libremovefile.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_asl.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_blocks.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_c.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_configuration.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_dnssd.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_info.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_kernel.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_m.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_malloc.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_network.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_notify.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_sandbox.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libsystem_stats.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libunc.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libunwind.dylib

/usr/lib/system/libxpc.dylib

/usr/lib/libbsm.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib

/usr/lib/libxar.1.dylib

/usr/lib/libpam.2.dylib

/usr/lib/libOpenScriptingUtil.dylib

/usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCo re.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata .framework/Versions/A/Metadata

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServic es.framework/Versions/A/OSServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SearchKi t.framework/Versions/A/SearchKit

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.frame work/Versions/A/AE

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Dictiona ryServices.framework/Versions/A/DictionaryServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/NetFS.framework/Versions/A/NetFS

/usr/lib/system/libkxld.dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetAuth.framework/Versions/A/NetAuth

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TCC.framework/Versions/A/TCC

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenDirectory.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFOpenD irectory.framework/Versions/A/CFOpenDirectory

/System/Library/Frameworks/ServiceManagement.framework/Versions/A/ServiceManagem ent

/usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Ink.framework/ Versions/A/Ink

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/A TS.framework/Versions/A/ATS

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/C olorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/H IServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/L angAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/P rintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Q D.framework/Versions/A/QD

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/S peechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesis

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOSurface.framework/Versions/A/IOSurface

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Accelerate

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vImage.fra mework/Versions/A/vImage

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.fra mework/Versions/A/vecLib

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.fra mework/Versions/A/libvDSP.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.fra mework/Versions/A/libvMisc.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.fra mework/Versions/A/libLAPACK.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.fra mework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/A TS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libFontParser.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/A TS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libFontRegistry.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libGIF.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJP2.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRadiance.dy lib

/usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Versions/A/Kerberos

/usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib

/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Heimdal.framework/Versions/A/Heimdal

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TrustEvaluationAgent.framework/Versions/A/Trus tEvaluationAgent

/usr/lib/libheimdal-asn1.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenDirectory.framework/Versions/A/OpenDirectory

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommonAuth.framework/Versions/A/CommonAuth

/System/Library/Frameworks/SecurityFoundation.framework/Versions/A/SecurityFound ation

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Bom.framework/Versions/A/Bom

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreImage. framework/Versions/A/CoreImage

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ScalableUs erInterface.framework/Versions/A/ScalableUserInterface

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGFXShared.dy lib

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLImage.dyli b

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libCVMSPluginSu pport.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libCoreVMClient .dylib

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FaceCore.framework/Versions/A/FaceCore

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CrashReporterSupport.framework/Versions/A/Cras hReporterSupport

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleFSCompression.framework/Versions/A/AppleF SCompression

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Ubiquity.framework/Versions/A/Ubiquity

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IconServices.framework/Versions/A/IconServices

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChunkingLibrary.framework/Versions/A/ChunkingL ibrary

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSymbolication.framework/Versions/A/CoreSym bolication

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Symbolication.framework/Versions/A/Symbolicati on

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DebugSymbols.framework/Versions/A/DebugSymbols

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GeoServices.framework/Versions/A/GeoServices

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProtocolBuffer.framework/Versions/A/ProtocolBu ffer

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreDaemon.framework/Versions/B/CoreDaemon

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSRP.framework/Versions/A/AppleSRP

/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib

/usr/lib/dyld

/dev/null

/dev/null

/dev/null

count=2, state=0x2

->0x445945846ee350a7

Jan 27, 2014 6:17 PM in response to ayiti2015

Wait for someone more knowledgeable re. the SocialPushAgent; I was guessing (because of its name) that it would have to do with social media accounts, etc. But, that may not be correct. So, I'd rather not make any guesses on how to deal with it. As I said, I'd leave storeagent alone; since Software Update uses it, I wouldn't want to guess what might happen if you deleted/renamed it. I prefer not to mess with system components even if I do not care for them.

Jan 28, 2014 7:31 AM in response to babowa

Duly noted! Many thanks, I will leave storeagent alone... for now. muahahaha!

Re: SocialPushAgent... I decided to follow a Terminal script I saw elsewhere as an experiment. So far so good. Since I don't know how to make the terminal-looking script thingy in posts, I'll just type it regular:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SocialPushAgent.plist

if something breaks, then revert using:

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SocialPushAgent.plist

You can use this same script to remove imagent as well. I did both yesterday afternoon and no problems to report so far.

How to uninstall or prevent SocialPushAgent, storeagent, etc.?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.