Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead G 4

Hi Folks:

I attempted to switch on my G4 (bought in 2001 Jan) this morning - there was absolutely no response. The power cord is OK, so this appears to be something internal.

I read some discussions here, and I believe there are 2 possibilities - either a dead battery or a dead power supply:

1. How can I discriminate between these 2 possibilities?

2. And, are there other possibilities?

Also, if it is the battery, how does one replace the battery ?

If it is the power supply, how does one replace it?

- any links with diagrammes would be welcome as I would like to do them myself ?

Lastly, is it worth the expense, if it is the power supply? My Mac's video card also appears to become defunct - the Viewsonic display looks so bad that I can hardly read, the mouse ponter has a vermanent vertical bar attached to it, the screen does not refresh as I open windows - I think the display is OK, and the problem lies with the video card.

So, I seem to be looking at 2 different expenses, and I need to decide if it is financially worth it to mend the Mac.

Did not have either of these problems with the Performa, even after 20 years...

I appreciate any help. Many thanks,

Sangeetha

G-4, 400 MHz giga-bit ethernet,, Mac OS X (10.3.x), 320 MB ram

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 1:10 PM

What model G4 ?

Unplug the computer, then open the side door of the G4. The battery in just about all the G4 models is in an easy to see and access location. You should be able to see it when you open the side.

The battery size is 1/2AA. This is half the size of a AA battery.

OWC has videos on how to replace the battery.

If it is the power supply, that too can be replaced with much time and effort, but finding a replacement would be a challenge.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2014 1:10 PM in response to sangeetha

What model G4 ?

Unplug the computer, then open the side door of the G4. The battery in just about all the G4 models is in an easy to see and access location. You should be able to see it when you open the side.

The battery size is 1/2AA. This is half the size of a AA battery.

OWC has videos on how to replace the battery.

If it is the power supply, that too can be replaced with much time and effort, but finding a replacement would be a challenge.

Jan 27, 2014 10:50 PM in response to sangeetha

I have been browsing the discussions, and discovered that my Mac is considered "Obsolete", and Apple has no knowledge base to support it. Skimmed thru the posts in the link below

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/118939?start=0&tstart=0

and found that I cannot access the articles like "http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n95037"

I am not sure how to reset PMU...

Are these articles likely to be stored elsewhere - Internet Archive, other discussion forums. Feeling lost...

Thanks for all your help, Eustace.

Jan 28, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Thanks again, Eustace, for the link and all your help.

I reset the PMU before replacing the battery.

The old battery had 3.6 V, but only 30 mA. So, replaced the battery.

But Mac does not start up even after installing the battery properly. Is another PMU reset needed? Or, is it going to be a power supply problem?

I am told that Apple Shops do a free diagnosis - any idea?

BTW, my Mac is a single 400 MHz processor, 20 GB original HD and 64 MB memory (original). Since then, I have added more memory, changed the HDD etc.

Thank you,

Sangeetha

Jan 28, 2014 2:31 PM in response to sangeetha

But Mac does not start up even after installing the battery properly. Is another PMU reset needed? Or, is it going to be a power supply problem?

Worth trying another PMU reset. What the heck, nothing to lose.

I am told that Apple Shops do a free diagnosis - any idea?

Indeed yes, in principle you can get a free diagnosis by an Apple genius, but don't count on it. They do not have any parts, and most of them have never worked on anything older than about 5 years. That computer is almost as old as the average Apple genius in my Toronto store.

If the G4 is what you want, have you looked at eBay? I just had a quick look. There are more than a 100 listed. Here's a G4 MDD that originally cost close to $3k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-Desktop-M8840LL-A-January-2003-And-Dell-1 8-Monitor-/261384867640?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3cdbc08f38

Jan 29, 2014 11:18 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

I did a PMU reset moments back, to no avail.

Called the local Apple Store - the "Geniuses" are not trained to even examine these old machines. They recommended 2 local Apple Certified Stores

Called the local Fry's - they charge $70 to do a diagnostics!

Called another store recommended by Apple, and the tech said it could be software problem too, not just the Power supply, but would be $100 for disgnostics, and software fix, if that is the issue. If hardware, more for the parts and labour, at both places

How can I retrieve the info on the 3 HDD I have in the machine? As they are all formatted for Macs, they would not be read by PCs...

So, perhaps I should look into machines on Ebay or a new Mac. Do you know if Ebay buys are reliable?

Thanks, Eustace, for all your help. I truly appreciate your time, effort and advice.

Sangeetha

Jan 29, 2014 12:33 PM in response to sangeetha

In my opinion, putting money into fixing the G4 is not wise. You can do better for less money.

Getting the data off the drives is a relatively simple undertaking. Those are IDE drives, and all you will need is the correct hardware to mount a drive so it can be connected to your new Mac. Post back when you are ready, we can walk you through that.

I have bought a number of Macs on eBay, both for myself and for friends. Since you already have a keyboard and a monitor you could for example get yourself a Mini. If you want to stay at a G4, a used Mini can be had for a few $$.

If you decide on an later model, you will need to upgrade some of your applications as well - more $$. These are not trivial decisions to make.

Jan 29, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

You are right - shall look into a machine on Ebay, and will post later. It may take me a week to before I get back here.

This G4 came with a PATA drive, with USB 1 and FW 1; later I bought cards & connectors to make it USB 2, and SATA ready. I also added some RAM.

I know I have a couple of SATA HDDs in it - shall pull out and identify all the add-ons.

I would like to use my old programmes; so, for the moment I may stay with a G4.

Thanks a million for walking me through everything.

Sangeetha

Dead G 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.