Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.medialibraryservice & Numbers

Since last iWork update, everytime I run Numbers application my imac starts to run very slow. When Numbers is running, the com.apple.medialibraryservice process Memory grow up to 1 GB.

Any idea to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Llimuji.

iMac (17-inch Late 2006), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 1:24 PM

9 replies

Feb 3, 2014 10:23 AM in response to llimuji

I see the same issue. The problem is with Numbers 3.1 and not Numbers 3.0.1. I have a very large media library in iTunes, and com.apple.MediaLibraryService grows until the either Numbers crashes or Mac OS X pauses most apps and tells me to force quit them to free up memory - which com.apple.MediaLibraryService then immediately consumes.

My temporary solution is to use Numbers 3.0.1.

Feb 3, 2014 2:14 PM in response to llimuji

If you run Numbers and Pages at the same time, separate instances of com.apple.MediaLibraryService are generated for each process, and each file grows to consume an enormous amount of memory. Notice also that the Numbers and Pages apps themselves consume an inordinate amount of RAM, far more than the '09 versions or even MS Excel and Word.

After a reboot and launch of Numbers and Pages, with the apps sitting idle, the following files climb over 20 seconds or so to the following:

com.apple.MediaLibraryService, 1.35 GB (first instance)

com.apple.MediaLibraryService, 1.35 GB (second instance)

Numbers, 568.8 MB with 3 small spreadsheets

Pages, 507.7 MB with a single blank document

Feb 4, 2014 8:06 PM in response to llimuji

I might have overlooked this, except that my MacBook Pro's fans kept coming on for no reason I could say. Checking processes today, I found mulitple instances of com.apple.MediaLibraryService running and consuming almost 1GB of RAM each. I was running iTunes 11.1.4 at the time, with Numbers 3.1 and Pages 5.1 sitting idly in the background.

I force-quit both instances of com.apple.MediaLibraryService, but as others have reported, it just started back up and grew to a ridiculous size within minutes, taking up to 108% processor power (so, up to 1 processor thread, but not even a full core).

I quit Pages and Numbers, and the problem went away. Sure seems like a runaway process problem that needs to be addressed in the next Pages, Numbers, iTunes, and or Mavericks update.

Feb 5, 2014 6:04 AM in response to llimuji

I'm experiencing the same. Late 2009 iMac (27", i5, 4GB RAM) running Mavericks and Numbers 3.1 or Pages 5.1. com.apple.MediaLibraryService eats over 1GB RAM for each app. I'm loathe to say it, but I'm going to have to switch to Excel and Word until Apple figures this out. The iWork programs are currently unusable.

com.apple.medialibraryservice & Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.