Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cat sat on the keyboard during update now the system is pale with apple in center and under that circling lines i cant either reboot or shut down.. Powering off only resumes the same. HELP

My Cat sat on the keyboard during regular updating of the system. First it went to hypo-slow with alot of beach ball action while i tried to power down for a restart and individually force quit most open apps. Restarted/Resumed same issue.. changed to( close open apps upon restart.).... Now it is light grey, apple icon in center nothing else but the rounding cursur under the middle/only apple icon..... just goes round and round...does not respond to any shutdowns other than power off..... Makes the regular start up noise and back to same routine.... PLease help if possible....

Thanks Tina Schlemer

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 2:42 PM

1 reply

Jan 27, 2014 3:04 PM in response to tinaschlemer

Try booting to the recovery partition and running Disk Utility.

1, Boot while holding down the command and R keys (two keys).

see this page: http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

2. Run Disk Utility, select the hard drive in the left column, First Aid then click Repair Disk.

3. Quit DU and restart.

If that does not do it, you can reinstall the OS from the same screen as took you to DU.

(My cat has never been able to do what yours did. I think he is just trying to email his friends.)

My cat sat on the keyboard during update now the system is pale with apple in center and under that circling lines i cant either reboot or shut down.. Powering off only resumes the same. HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.