Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not working after Time Machine restore

Hello:

I was flustrated with Maverick so I used Time Machine to restore back to Mountain Lion. However, after a couple attempts, the restoration seems successful except one big problem: the Finder does not work any more. When I clicked the Finder icon, it opens for a second and then it closes down right away by itself. The icon of Macintosh HD, which I put on the destop, is blinking all the time. All other functions are working fine.

The specs of my Mac is: i5, 4Gb ram, 500Gb hardrive. 2012 model of Mac mini.

I ran a disk check and found no problem with the hard drive.

Please help!

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 3:47 PM

19 replies

Jan 27, 2014 6:03 PM in response to Dong Su

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter the name of the crashed application or process in the Filter text field. Select the messages from the time of the last crash, if any. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

In the Console window, look under User Diagnostic Reports (not "Diagnostic and Usage Messages") for crash reports related to the crashed process. The report name starts with the name of the process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent report and post the entire contents — again, the text, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.) Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report — they're very long and not helpful.

Jan 27, 2014 6:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc Davis!!

I am trying to figure out this diagnostic process, but the thing is the Finder is not working and it does not allow me to click the Finder menu. I can try the Spotlight but it is tricky to put in works because of the blinking. May I just add the error message that I got. Soon after I started the Mac, a window pops up saying:

the last time you opend Finder, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?

It makes no difference whether I click "Don't Reopen" or "Reopen." The error message stays there for about 15 or 20 minutes. So the blinking stoped. So I click Finder again, another error message comes up:

The application "Finder" cannot be opened.

Soon after, there is another error message pops up:

Finder quit unexpectedly.

Click reopen to open the application again. ...

Is this information enough for a diagnosis?

Jan 27, 2014 6:57 PM in response to Dong Su

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jan 27, 2014 10:58 PM in response to Dong Su

2014-01-27 4:16:51.215 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[146]: (com.apple.Finder[1653]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

2014-01-27 4:16:51.376 PM ReportCrash[1633]: Failed to set xattr key: UserDuration value: 9895 for url: file://localhost/Users/sudongyue/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Finder_2014-01- 27-161651_Dongs-MacBook-Air-2.crash, error: 2 No such file or directory

2014-01-27 4:18:57.421 PM ReportCrash[1766]: Failed to set xattr key: UserDuration value: 10021 for url: file://localhost/Users/sudongyue/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Finder_2014-01- 27-161857_Dongs-MacBook-Air-2.crash, error: 2 No such file or directory

2014-01-27 4:19:02.071 PM Finder[1791]: checkinWithServer(), failed checking in with coreservicesd, err=#-308/0xfffffecc (ipc/mig) server died serverPort=0x0 opts=0x0

2014-01-27 4:19:05.258 PM Finder[1791]: FileIDTree_DiskArbIdleCallback runs as 227593248. It must run as root.

2014-01-27 4:19:06.647 PM ReportCrash[1766]: Saved crash report for Finder[1791] version 10.8.2 (10.8.2) to /Users/sudongyue/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Finder_2014-01-27-161906_Dongs- MacBook-Air-2.crash

2014-01-27 4:19:07.050 PM WindowServer[100]: [cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to Finder, psn 0x0-0x3003, securitySessionID=0x186a4, err=3

Jan 28, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Dong Su

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. All it does is to gather information about the state of your computer. That information goes nowhere unless you choose to share it on this page. However, you should be cautious about running any kind of program (not just a shell script) at the request of a stranger on a public message board. If you have doubts, search this site for other discussions in which this procedure has been followed without any report of ill effects. If you can't satisfy yourself that the instructions are safe, don't follow them.

Here's a summary of what you need to do: Copy a line of text from this web page into the window of another application. Wait about a minute. Then paste some other text, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page. The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. Details follow.

You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken in “normal” mode. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.

If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply.

The script is a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, though you may not see all of it in your browser, and you can then copy it. If you try to select the line by dragging across the part you can see, you won't get all of it.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; clear; Fb='%s\n\t(%s)\n'; Fm='\n%s:\n\n%s\n'; Fs='\n%s: %s\n'; Fu='user %s%%, system %s%%'; PB="/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print"; A () { [[ a -eq 0 ]]; }; M () { find -L "$d" -type f | while read f; do file -b "$f" | egrep -q XML\|exec && echo $f; done; }; Pc () { o=`egrep -v '^[[:blank:]]*($|#)' "$2"`; Pm "$1"; }; Pm () { [[ "$o" ]] && o=`sed 's/^ */ /' <<< "$o"` && printf "$Fm" "$1" "$o"; }; Pp () { o=`$PB "$2" | awk -F'= ' \/$3'/{print $2}'`; Pm "$1"; }; Ps () { o=`echo $o`; [[ ! "$o" =~ ^0?$ ]] && printf "$Fs" "$1" "$o"; }; R () { o=; [[ r -eq 0 ]]; }; SP () { system_profiler SP${1}DataType; }; id | grep -qw '80(admin)'; a=$?; A && sudo true; r=$?; t=`date +%s`; clear; { A || echo $'No admin access\n'; A && ! R && echo $'No root access\n'; SP Software | sed '8!d;s/^ *//'; o=`SP Hardware | awk '/Mem/{print $2}'`; o=$((o<4?o:0)); Ps "Memory (GB)"; o=`SP Diagnostics | sed '5,6!d'`; [[ "$o" =~ Pass ]] || Pm "POST"; o=`SP USB | awk '/V.*[(]/{if ($3 !~ /0(5a|a5)c/) print}' | wc -l`; Ps "3rd-party USB devices"; o=`pmset -g therm | sed 's/^.*CP/CP/'`; egrep -q 'No th|pms' <<< "$o" && o=; Pm "Thermal conditions"; o=`pmset -g sysload | grep -v :`; grep -q '= [^GO]' <<< "$o" || o=; Pm "System load advisory"; o=`nvram boot-args | awk '{$1=""; print}'`; Ps "boot-args"; d=(/ ""); D=(System User); for i in 0 1; do o=`cd ${d[$i]}L*/L*/Dia* && ls | awk -F_ '!/ag$/{$NF=a[split($NF,a,".")]; print}' | tail`; Pm "${D[$i]} diagnostics"; done; o=`syslog -F bsd -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'GPU |hfs: Ru|I/O e|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|SATA W|ssert|timed? ?o' | tail -n25 | awk '/:/{$4=""; $5=""; print}'`; Pm "Kernel messages"; o=`df -m / | awk 'NR==2 {print $4}'`; o=$((o<5120?o:0)); Ps "Free space (MiB)"; o=$(($(vm_stat | awk '/eo/{sub("\\.",""); print $2}')/256)); o=$((o>=1024?o:0)); Ps "Pageouts (MiB)"; s=( `sar -u 1 10 | sed '$!d'` ); [[ s[4] -lt 85 ]] && o=`printf "$Fu" ${s[1]} ${s[3]}` || o=; Ps "Total CPU usage" && { s=(`ps acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu | sed '2!d'`); o=${s[2]}%; Ps "CPU usage by process \"$s\" with UID ${s[1]}"; }; s=(`top -R -l1 -n1 -o prt -stats command,uid,prt | sed '$!d'`); s[2]=${s[2]%[+-]}; o=$((s[2]>=25000?s[2]:0)); Ps "Mach ports used by process \"$s\" with UID ${s[1]}"; o=`kextstat -kl | grep -v com\\.apple | cut -c53- | cut -d\< -f1`; Pm "Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions"; R && o=`sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix\.cron)|org\.(amav|apac|calendarse|cups|dove|isc|ntp|post[fg]|x)/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic system jobs"; o=`launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)|\.[0-9]+$/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic agents"; o=`for d in {/,}L*/Lau*; do M; done | grep -v com\.apple\.CSConfig | while read f; do ID=$($PB\ :Label "$f") || ID="No job label"; printf "$Fb" "$f" "$ID"; done`; Pm "launchd items"; o=`for d in /{S*/,}L*/Star*; do M; done`; Pm "Startup items"; o=`find -L /S*/L*/E* {/,}L*/{A*d,Compon,Ex,In,Keyb,Mail,P*P,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo}* -type d -name Contents -prune | while read d; do ID=$($PB\ :CFBundleIdentifier "$d/Info.plist") || ID="No bundle ID"; egrep -qv "^com\.apple\.[^x]|Accusys|ArcMSR|ATTO|HDPro|HighPoint|driver\.stex|hp-fax|\.hpio|JMicron|microsoft\.MDI|print|SoftRAID" <<< $ID && printf "$Fb" "${d%/Contents}" "$ID"; done`; Pm "Extrinsic loadable bundles"; o=`find -L /u*/{,*/}lib -type f | while read f; do file -b "$f" | grep -qw shared && ! codesign -v "$f" && echo $f; done`; Pm "Unsigned shared libraries"; o=`launchctl getenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES`; Pm "Inserted libraries"; o=`find -L {,/u*/lo*}/e*/periodic -type f -mtime -10d`; Pm "Modified periodic scripts"; o=`scutil --proxy | grep Prox`; Pm "Proxies"; o=`scutil --dns | awk '/r\[0\] /{if ($NF !~ /^1(0|72\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])|92\.168)\./) print $NF; exit}'`; Ps "DNS"; R && o=`sudo profiles -P | grep : | wc -l`; Ps "Profiles"; for f in fstab sysctl.conf crontab launchd.conf; do Pc $f /etc/$f; done; Pc "hosts" <(grep -v 'host *$' /etc/hosts); Pc "User launchd" ~/.launchd*; R && Pc "Root crontab" <(sudo crontab -l); Pc "User crontab" <(crontab -l); R && o=`sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook`; Pm "Login hook"; Pp "Global login items" /L*/P*/loginw* Path; Pp "User login items" L*/P*/*loginit* Name; Pp "Safari extensions" L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist Bundle | sed 's/\..*$//;s/-[1-9]$//'; o=`find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) | wc -l`; Ps "Restricted user files"; cd; o=`SP Fonts | egrep "Valid: N|Duplicate: Y" | wc -l`; Ps "Font problems"; o=`find L*/{Con,Pref}* -type f ! -size 0 -name *.plist | while read f; do plutil -s "$f" >&- || echo $f; done`; Pm "Bad plists"; d=(Desktop L*/Keyc*); n=(20 7); for i in 0 1; do o=`find "${d[$i]}" -type f -maxdepth 1 | wc -l`; o=$((o<=n[$i]?0:o)); Ps "${d[$i]##*/} files"; done; o=$((`date +%s`-t)); Ps "Elapsed time (s)"; } 2>/dev/null | pbcopy; exit 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign ($) or a percent sign (%). If you get the percent sign, enter “exec sh” and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign.

Click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.

If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important.

If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for your password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator rights.

The test may take up to a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. There wiil be nothing in the Terminal window and no indication of progress until it's done. Wait for the line "[Process completed]" to appear. If you don't see it within half an hour or so, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, close the Terminal window and report your results. No harm will be done.

When the test is complete, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.

If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

When you post the results, you might see the message, "You have included content in your post that is not permitted." That's because the forum software falsely identifies something in the post as a violation of the terms of use. If that happens, please post the results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Note: This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak only for themselves, and I don't necessarily agree with them.

Copyright © 2014 Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work, I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Terms of Use of Apple Support Communities ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.

Jan 28, 2014 10:09 AM in response to Dong Su

Where to find this UNIX Shell Script program?

In my comment above.

I downloaded this "MacKeeper"

"MacKeeper" is a scam. You are doing things that will make your problems worse.

Remove "MacKeeper" as follows. First, back up all data.

"MacKeeper" has only one useful feature: it deletes itself.

Note: These instructions apply to the version of the product that I downloaded and tested in early 2012. I can't be sure that they apply to other versions.

IMPORTANT: "MacKeeper" has what the developer calls an “encryption” feature. In my tests, I didn't try to verify what this feature really does. If you used it to “encrypt” any of your files, “decrypt” them before you uninstall, or (preferably) restore the files from backups made before they were “encrypted.” As the developer is not trustworthy, you should assume that the "decrypted" files are corrupt unless proven otherwise.

In the Finder, select

Go Applications

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-A. The "MacKeeper" application is in the folder that opens. Quit it if it's running, then drag it to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your login password. Click the Uninstall MacKeeper button in the dialog that appears. All the functional components of the software will be deleted. Reboot.

Quit MacKeeper before dragging it to the Trash.

Don't empty the Trash. Let MacKeeper delete itself.

Don't try to drag the MacKeeper Dock icon to the Trash.

Jan 28, 2014 10:36 AM in response to Dong Su

Boot Mode: Safe

3rd-party USB devices: 3

System diagnostics:

apsd 2014-01-27-163423 crash

cfprefsd 2014-01-27-175018 crash

coreservicesd 2014-01-27-161902 crash

coreservicesd 2014-01-27-232909 crash

mds 2014-01-27-222719 crash

User diagnostics:

Finder 2014-01-28-100713 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100716 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100719 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100722 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100725 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100728 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100731 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100734 crash

Finder 2014-01-28-100737 crash

fontd 2014-01-27-163418 crash

Total CPU usage: user 12%, system 13%

CPU usage by process "plugin-container" with UID 501: 99.0%

launchd items:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

(com.adobe.AAM.Startup-1.0)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist

(com.adobe.SwitchBoard)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

(com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.prosoftnet.idrivesyncdaemon.plist

(IDriveSyncDaemon)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.453B3 A50-7BEA-43E7-B176-192E63FED422.plist

(com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.453B3A50-7BEA-43E7-B176-1 92E63FED422)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

(com.google.keystone.user.agent)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist

(com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper)

Extrinsic loadable bundles:

/System/Library/Extensions/AVFrameBuffer.kext

(com.avatron.AVExFramebuffer)

/System/Library/Extensions/AVVideoCard.kext

(com.avatron.AVExVideo)

/System/Library/Extensions/HoRNDIS.kext

(com.joshuawise.kexts.HoRNDIS)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobeAAMDetect.plugin

(com.AdobeAAMDetectLib.AdobeAAMDetect)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewerNPAPI)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

(com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

(com.microsoft.sharepoint.browserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

(com.microsoft.sharepoint.webkitplugin)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Air Display Preferences.prefPane

(com.avatron.AirDisplayPrefPanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flash Player.prefPane

(com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences)

/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax

(No bundle ID)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABDialer.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabdialer)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABSMS.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Restricted user files: 67

Elapsed time (s): 284

Finder not working after Time Machine restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.