Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloading iTunes 64bit v 11.4 ?

I have Windows 7 64-bit. After getting error msgs re; file MSVCR80.dll for iTunes discussed in other threads here I've tried to follow the procedures in the http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923 instructions but encountered problems uninstalling and removing Apple Mobile Device Support and downloading a new iTunes64.exe file. (Uninstalling & removing other Apple program elements iTunes, Apple Software Update, Bonjour, & Apple Application Support worked OK.)

-- Apple Mobile Device Support: I uninstalled this through Control Panel / Programs & Features per instructions. But it continues to appear in the program list (with icon grayed out) even after manually deleting the Apple folders from both C:\ Program Files\Common Files and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files per instructions step 2. In Programs & Features for Apple Mobile Device Support, right-clicking Change and selecting Remove yields error msg "Apple Mobile Device Support wasn't installed on your computer". Same result after reboot.

-- Downloading new installation exe file: On Apple website in itunes/download section, clicking the blue Download Now button yields window.

User uploaded file

But nothing happens after clicking the Save File button. No download occurs; same result on repeated tries. I don't know whether the download failure is related to the Apple Mobile Device Support uninstall/removal issue.

I'm stumped. Help?

Don

Windows 7, iTunes 11

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 4:14 PM

2 replies

Feb 2, 2014 7:32 AM in response to donald50

I had the same problem with trying to remove Apple Mobile Device Support (AMDS) with Win 7 Home Premium on one machine and Win 7 Ultimate on another. Everytime I tried to uninstall it (AMDS), it would not go away. I tried restarting the computer several times, to no avail.

I was following directions at a different website: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/msvcr80-dll-not-found-missing -error.htm . I went ahead and tried step 2, even though Apple Mobile Device Support would not uninstall. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347 (this reinstalls MS Visual C++ 2005 service pack 1). I'm not sure that made any difference.

I tried downloading and installing a clean version of Itunes 11.4 for 64-bit Win 7. It still would not install, and I got a different error message (no longer missing mscvr80.dll, but a different message with an error number).

Finally, I went back to Control Panel, Programs, and tried to uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support. This time, when right clicking on it, I chose either Change or Repair instead of Uninstall. Whichever one it was led me through a Wizard with several steps, which did succeed in removing Apple Mobile Device Support finally. It no longer showed up as an installed program. Nor did it show up using Admin Tools, Component Services, Local as a running service.

Next, I restarted Win 7, went to Apple's iTunes download (using Chrome browser), and the 142 MB file downloaded fine. I opened it, and it reinstalled all of the other Apple programs I had previously removed, and finally iTunes. No error messages. Everything seems to work now. I did go back to Control Panel, Programs..., to see what got installed. This time I noticed that the Apple Mobile Device Support program was 21.1 MB in size instead of 25 MB in the previoius installation.

This problem was all started because of the missing mscvr80.dll fill that prevented the iTunes update from succeeding. Presumably, reinstalling MS Visual C++ SP 1 fixed this missing driver, but I don't know for sure. BTW, I had no iTunes installation problems on 3 different Macs (mini, Pro, Air) running Mavericks OS X 10.9.1.

All of this makes me wonder if a virus had done something to the Win 7 machines, either corrupting the mscvr80.dll file or the AMDS program (why the reduction of about 4 MB in file size on the new installation?). Both machines had been scanned by Symantec Endpoint 12.1.4 with uptodate definitions, and appeared to be clean.

Anyway, this problem makes me wonder what's going on with the Win 7 64-bit machines.

downloading iTunes 64bit v 11.4 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.